• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bonding

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Longo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Milford ct

Bonding

Post by Longo »

Hope this post is finding all well.

Bonding question - my 1985 Palm Beach 37 has a thin copper band down each stringer - one port and one starboard. They came off of this copper band with #8 stranded at various points to pick up the engines, strainers, rudders...all of the metal parts. Problem is that this system has basically seen its better days and a lot of the connections are failing. I have read that folks have removed all of the blinding all together and others who say to replace in kind. My thought is to purchase a long copper bus and come off of same with all new wire to re-bond everything. So - looking for thoughts on replacing or removing. When i pulled the boat this a few weeks ago had a lot of growth but all of the zincs were like new...so assuming the bonding may be causing this.

Much thanks!!
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Bonding

Post by catalina_mike »

My 28TE had terminal strips but did not have a transom zinc. I redid everything added a transom zinc and got better results. Bonding is great but it needs to go somewhere.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Albin Maintenance”