• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar valve recall

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Goggy

Yanmar valve recall

Post by Goggy »

Does anly one have information on the Yanmar recall for yanmar engines in Albin 28s?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Goggy,
Welcome to the group. Post some pics. (have I said that before?)
Anyway, others will chime in here. There was a class action suit. The website was yanmarsettlement.com. That site is now down. There is also a PDF floating around. If I can find it, I'll post.

Does someone have it out there? Chief?

Thanks,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Lots of information on this site as well as on boatdiesel.com. In a nutshell, there were older 6lp engines from Yanmar that were involved in a valve seal issue, there was a class action suit and it was settled with Yanmar paying for some repairs, engine replacements etc. I'm not sure of the serial number range but it is very important that you determine if you're seals have been replaced or need replacing. Failure to replace these seals may results in the engine dropping a valve thus destroying the piston and cylinder wall. These are not sleeved engines so the damage is usually fatal to the engine. Replacement engines have been seen on the internet for somewhere in the neighborhood of $26,000.00
Albin 28TE "Southwind"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”