• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Suction oil change results.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Connecticut

Suction oil change results.

Post by Albesaurus »

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as me with the amount of oil suctioned from my engine. I got only 7.5 quarts of oil out of my Yanmar 6LPA-stp ( 2002).

I warmed up the engine for 20 minutes at 2000 RPM’s. I used a bucket mounted oil change pump and afterwards used a hand pump to get as much as possible. I moved the tube around alot and just felt that was it. Then when I measured it it was 7.5 quarts. I assume with an oil capacity of 10 and change I would have gotten more out. Am i wrong or did i miss some.

Nick
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Re: Suction oil change results.

Post by Paddy »

Consistently around 7-8 quarts for me too, all good. The engines won't warm up properly at the dock, take it for a good spin next time and make sure you reach operating temps. Much easier, especially in the fall.
2004 28TE
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Post by Tom Un »

I always get more than 9 qts out but I never warm up the engine so all the oil has completely drained down.

Tom
LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by LillianpFD »

can anyone suggest a good pump for doing the oil change? I got charged $400 in labor last year for oil and filters being changed and will tackle that myself now. I like the idea of doing it in water to get the heat up. Thx.
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

Jabsco Oil change kit - suck it out then reverse the pump to pump into empty oil containers. Very easy. Since a lot of my trips are in the 20 + hour range I change about every 2 trips.

Tom U
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

OK so I just changed my oil and I took out about 9+ quarts.

Tom U

Return to “Albin Maintenance”