• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Perkins Prima 500 78 HP Diesel

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kickinmule
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Berwick

Perkins Prima 500 78 HP Diesel

Post by kickinmule »

Hi all, Is anyone familiar with this engine. Performance history, current availability of parts etc. I am considering an Albin 27 FC with this engine. Thanks
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Re: Perkins Prima 500 78 HP Diesel

Post by boater_mike »

Late replay...Great little engine. A little quirky as are all Perkins, especially with grounding. I have one close to being finished as a rebuild in my garage. Parts are readily available. They are actually cheaper to buy from the UK. Go figure.

https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-p ... 00-series/

I am seriously considering putting it in my A27 when the Lehman/Peugeot dies or starts acting up.

-Mike
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

There is a Prima M50 with approximately 3k hours for $975.00 on kijiji in Toronto Can. It may be a good deal for you American’s with a 30%premium on your dollar.
Bob
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Post by boater_mike »

Late...been out for a bit..The problem with getting ANY engine into the good ol' U S of A is the EPA regs. Older non-EPA tier regulated engines are impossible to import anymore. If it's not a direct replacement, (the only loophole to this) you will likely be held up at customs...then denied your engine.
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129
Lockerman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: New Bern NC

Post by Lockerman »

I am having trouble finding an operating manual for a Perkins M80T. Does anyone know the recommended RPM range? WOT and optimum?
Thanks,

Return to “Albin Maintenance”