• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Coolant leak at turbo

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Coolant leak at turbo

Post by Jkraft »

Hi all, I just had the turbo rebuilt and i noticed some red drips in the bilge when I got to the boat last weekend. I assumed it was transmission fluid and I cleaned it up and cleaned the trans breather and ran the boat.

More red fluid appeared but I couldn’t locate the source. I found trans fluid on the bottom of the turbo. That can’t be. Smelled it and it’s coolant. I know there are two hoses on the turbo for coolant one on the bottom and one on top.

When i left the boat the motor was hot so I didn’t have time to check Into it. If it’s not the bottom nipple or hose leaking on the turbo could the turbo leak somewhere else?
753694F0-55F9-4F33-AE5C-382C636EEE7B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Coolant leak at turbo

Post by Tree »

Leaking core plug? I had a small leak on the core plug above the exhaust elbow on mine. Took me a couple of weeks to determine why I kept getting a smell of antifreeze.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”