• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 toilet pump is out for the count

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Albin 25 toilet pump is out for the count

Post by Sunsetrider »

The round cap shown just below the pump handle blew off this morning (flush fail!). The assembly has been leaking somewhere for over a season now as well. Is this such an old model that the whole thing should be replaced, bowl, pump and all? Or better to just try to find a new pump assembly that will match up? Any insights?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Albin 25 toilet pump is out for the count

Post by Carl »

To each his own, but when mine failed I found for $30 more I could replace the entire unit. The pump rebuild kit is not cheap. Couple bolts and two hose clamps and your done. Less than 20 min and all new!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I recently bought a new Jabsco full size for $140:
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/catalogsea ... sco+manual

It is now on backorder, but the compact is a good price. I am waiting on replacing a thru hull before I install the new head, but I couldn't find too many negative comments on Jabsco. Also could not find any decent info comparing quality of Jabsco vs Groco (my old unit). It looks like your head is a Raritan? Those are supposed to be really top notch...

Like Carl, I found a new head was trivially more than the rebuild kit. I hate to throw anything out that can be repaired, but in addition to needing a rebuild, there was a crack in the outflow tube and the seat was wonky. Fixing all of that would have cost more time and money than buying a new one.

I wish I could give a review on the new Jabsco head. I have it plumbed to operate on either raw water or fresh water, so it will work on the trailer. I should have it working sometime in August.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I followed the advice and replaced the entire thing ($225 CAD), while simplifying the plumbing and constructing a new base. I got the standard bowl instead of the compact, and was relieved that it fits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Great job, and fast work!

Very convenient to use the "sink drain" thru hull for your intake. It looks like your plumbing dumps into the top of the holding tank. What is the arrangement of your holding tank?

I notice you didn't install a vented loop for the raw water feed (pump to bowl is recommended, but I added mine between the sea cock and the pump inlet. I'll probably regret it later after dealing with siphon lock). Its probably not strictly necessary, since these are power boats, not sailboats that heel over far enough to put the bowl below the water line. Plus, the intake seacock is right there, easy enough to just shut it off.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I just hooked into the existing arrangement, but eliminated the Y-valve to avoid legal hassles. I protected the thru-hull with a cap and a warning label - not sure how to lock the valve lever. The waste flow goes up into the top of the waste tank which is installed on the stbd side of the helm behind the wall. I use an enzyme treatment that is wonderful in eliminating odors.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I'd love the name of that enzyme treatment when its convenient for you. My head was plumbed to the bottom of the holding tank. The stem for the pump out was rather close, and my tank developed a hole, about 3mm, which I patched inside and out with thickened polyester resin. I'm now plumbed to the top as well.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I'll get that to you later in the week.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

See Peggie Hall's books and posts on all things odoriferous on boats. We also have some magic juju powder we use in our head, straight from Peggie's lips, in a manner of speaking.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

My stuff is called "Super Enzo" - sounds hokey but never a bad odor in the head. One capful after pumpout. I picked it up at a promo at the Toronto boat show in 2019. One of those promo talks pretending to be educational seminars - but it does work.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

@Sunsetrider - Thank you! I'm looking into getting some right now!

@WillieC - That looks like a great recommendation. I'm trying to decide between the Kindle version (I can access on any of my tablets or phone) or the hard copy, which takes up space on the boat, but is more useful when cruising, and for looking at diagrams. I'll be getting one or the other soon.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “Albin Maintenance”