• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mechanical and Seatrial on 2002 28 with 6LPA-STP only 3600 rpm at WOT

Fastyvr
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gibsons, B.C. Canada

Mechanical and Seatrial on 2002 28 with 6LPA-STP only 3600 rpm at WOT

Post by Fastyvr »

Hello
Im looking to purchase a 28 TE. I am in the PNW - Vancouver.

There is a 3 owner, local boat available that has 1325 hours. The last owner seems to have been meticulous however the first two perhaps not so much. I have completed a mechanical PPI including full load sea trial. The boat only goes to 3600 rpm, the engine seems "clacky" and there is some smoke at idle after running the boat. No black smoke under load, just a greyish smoke under load and at idle. The bottom was cleaned in Jan.

The Tech suggested perhaps over-propped. We don't know what prop is mounted and there is no record. We will of course note that when we/if we pull the boat out of the water.

Ive seen some posts that suggest possible injector issues, turbo oil-seal issues and valve adjustment issues. In looking at the records, i don't see any records addressing these possible causes. The engine was pulled in 2018 due to leaking crank seal. There was a water intrusion noted at front timing cover and timing gears and tensioner/pulley assy. The throttle shaft was seized on injection pump. Perhaps there was I a raw water leak that was never properly addressed and led to corrosion issues.

any suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you

(ps - too bad about cost of shipping a 28 across continent... i love the member boats for sale in the East)

pics of gauges attached:

link to engine video and smoke at idle post WOT here:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cd0yek ... dbrh-IqaMQ
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Tum3Qb ... 5QbsQJ2TdQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Mechanical and Seatrial on 2002 28 with 6LPA-STP only 3600 rpm at WOT

Post by Tree »

Can’t seem to open the second file but the first video of tickover didn’t seem anything out of the ordinary. Your smoke issue maybe due to the air heating coils no longer working. I can’t tell from the video if they are disconnected or not, also I do t have them so wouldn’t really know where to look!

WOT being down could be a number of factors. 6 months growth on the hull, poor quality fuel if the boat has been sitting about could all play a part.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

A few more things to consider - use a photo tach for an accurate reading of RPM's and make sure the fuel filters are clean.

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

I wouldn't rule out shipping one across the continent. I had Turtle Express shipped from Florida to WA for a pretty reasonable price, especially considering the premium asking price of the boats on the west coast.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I had mine shipped over the Atlantic!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

GSSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:35 pm I wouldn't rule out shipping one across the continent. I had Turtle Express shipped from Florida to WA for a pretty reasonable price, especially considering the premium asking price of the boats on the west coast.
Greg - It's your Albin neighbor Anthony from the F Dock at Anacortes Marina. Hope to see you down there soon!

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

MadMoney wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:27 pm
GSSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:35 pm I wouldn't rule out shipping one across the continent. I had Turtle Express shipped from Florida to WA for a pretty reasonable price, especially considering the premium asking price of the boats on the west coast.
Greg - It's your Albin neighbor Anthony from the F Dock at Anacortes Marina. Hope to see you down there soon!

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
Anthony - We'll be up in Anacortes this weekend. Did I see you putting in a new windlass last weekend?
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Out of gear, what is the max RPM?

Over propping seems to be “normal” on these boats, quite a few people are reporting 3,800-3,850 at max throttle, yet the Yanmar manuals says you should get 3,950-4,050.
(3,800 RPM happens to be rated power, in other words, the 300/315 HP is rated @ 3,800 RPM, but the motor should run up to minimum 3,950, max 4,050 RPM in gear)
3,600 RPM at max throttle could be either a prop tuned too coarse, or a throttle/cable adjusted wrong.
(My throttle hits the mechanical stop in the wheel house at 3,600 after I replaced the throttle going from 2 levers to 1 lever, my bad, did not fine-tune the modification, nor do I miss the 4,050 RPM, never used it anyways)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Fastyvr
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gibsons, B.C. Canada

Post by Fastyvr »

Update:
White's Diesel did an inspection in Campbell River pulled the injectors and adjusted the valves. The injectors were all performing but with those out, they performed a compression test. We found problems. The compression ran from 360, though most around 300-330 but #6 was down to 280. Also, they found that the turbo had ingested a couple of rivets (?) from the air box and damaged the turbo. I communicated with Yanmar and they have confirmed the motor has the old grey valve seals. Sadly, i have to walk.

Im officially back in the market.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”