• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2004 Albin 28 TE 110V electrical problems

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

2004 Albin 28 TE 110V electrical problems

Post by JoeH »

I just noticed my 110V outlets are not functioning although I'm getting current to my inhouse 110v systems such as the microwave. The switch on my electrical panel is turned on along with the AC outlet switch. Could it be that there is a fuse somewhere in the system that has blown. I thought that the breaker panel would be tripped if there was some sort of a problem. Any thoughts on this. :(
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

The first inline duplex outlet on my Albin 28 is a ground fault and has a reset button. If this goes out all others downline from that one go out too. Check and see if you have a ground fault receptical and reset the button.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

chiefrcd wrote:The first inline duplex outlet on my Albin 28 is a ground fault and has a reset button. If this goes out all others downline from that one go out too. Check and see if you have a ground fault receptical and reset the button.
And if it's like mine that outlet is in the storage cabinet to port, forward of the sink. The first time this happened to me (GFI tripped) I couldn't even find the outlet!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

chiefrcd wrote:The first inline duplex outlet on my Albin 28 is a ground fault and has a reset button. If this goes out all others downline from that one go out too. Check and see if you have a ground fault receptical and reset the button.
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

Many thanks for the quick response. I have tried the GFI reset button several times. No luck. Is it possible the reset is faulty, although I doubt it since the boat is only 4 yrs old. I've thought of installing a new GFI sw. if I can't resolve the problem. Any further thoughts, they're all appreciated.

Joe H
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

110 outlets

Post by Pitou »

Joe ...... I just checked the schematics for the 110 AC System. Their may be 2 GFCI Duplex outlets on your boat. The 1st / if you have this optional outlet is located behind the companion seat in the pilot house and is for this outlet only. The other GFCI is on a seperate loop after the microwave which itself is not GFCI protected. The GFCI outlet in the cabinet forward of the sink as described by DougSea if tripped will render itself, the outlets at the bow, in the head and behind the helm seat dead while the microwave will continue to have power.

......... And yes, GFCI outlets do wear out and are easily replaced. I recently had to replace one on the outside of my barn (it was less than 1 year old)...... an easy diy project / pick one up at the local hardware store and I'll bet you'll be back in business.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 110 outlets

Post by JoeH »

Pitou wrote:Joe ...... I just checked the schematics for the 110 AC System. Their may be 2 GFCI Duplex outlets on your boat. The 1st / if you have this optional outlet is located behind the companion seat in the pilot house and is for this outlet only. The other GFCI is on a seperate loop after the microwave which itself is not GFCI protected. The GFCI outlet in the cabinet forward of the sink as described by DougSea if tripped will render itself, the outlets at the bow, in the head and behind the helm seat dead while the microwave will continue to have power.

......... And yes, GFCI outlets do wear out and are easily replaced. I recently had to replace one on the outside of my barn (it was less than 1 year old)...... an easy diy project / pick one up at the local hardware store and I'll bet you'll be back in business.
Kevin thanks for the info. I just checked for a second GFI (boat in my backyard) and couldn't find one behind the companion seat. Since the test button on the sw. is locked in the down position I suspect something's wrong with the GFI switch itself. Will try and replace it as soon as we get some warm weather.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Joe H
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Make sure your circuit breaker switch is off for the outlets. Remove the cover and then the GFI plug itself from the outlet box. Then turn on the outlet circuit breaker. Use a volt meter or a test light and check for 110 VAC at the input for the GFI. Take care not the touch any of the wiring or screw terminals while the circuit breaker is turned on. If it shows voltage there but still none on the plug side you have a bad GFI, if it does not show voltage to the input wires then you have a problem upstream from the plug, eg. broken wire, bad circuit breaker etc. If you are not comfortable working around AC then have an electrician troubleshoot and repair your problem. Good luck
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Denis wrote:Make sure your circuit breaker switch is off for the outlets.
Absolutely, and take it one step further ........ turn off the AC Main or better yet .... unplug the boat from shore power. Always better safe than sorry. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

Denis wrote:Make sure your circuit breaker switch is off for the outlets. Remove the cover and then the GFI plug itself from the outlet box. Then turn on the outlet circuit breaker. Use a volt meter or a test light and check for 110 VAC at the input for the GFI. Take care not the touch any of the wiring or screw terminals while the circuit breaker is turned on. If it shows voltage there but still none on the plug side you have a bad GFI, if it does not show voltage to the input wires then you have a problem upstream from the plug, eg. broken wire, bad circuit breaker etc. If you are not comfortable working around AC then have an electrician troubleshoot and repair your problem. Good luck
Denis, thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. Hopefully it's only the GFI.

Thanks and have a great day.

Joe H

Return to “Albin Maintenance”