• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 WaterTank Vent

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

A25 WaterTank Vent

Post by hetek »

So it's time to reinstall the original water tank, but I cannot find the water tank vent location.

I see the hose barb at the tank (next to the fill hose location) but see no through hull vent in the bow area.

Is this an Albin secret? Where do I run the vent hose to?

Inquiring A25 de Luxe owners want to know!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: A25 WaterTank Vent

Post by WillieC »

Well my vent is on the port side, up high, a couple feet back of the bow.. Did you varnish over it when redoing all that woodwork?

I don't think it needs to vent to atmosphere, outside the boat, but what do I know? If I fill too fast, ours will spit water and of course it leaks out the hug red cap and makes a general mess below. I have an aux water tank installed with only a half inch fill tube teed off the bottom of the original tank. That sucker is slow, so I have to be patient. The second tank, for inquiring minds, is also vented to a tee into the original vent mentioned above.

The wine rack just aft of the main water tank has suffered a bit of water damage over the years and needs to be refinished. Are you busy next week, Mr. Double Shift?
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Aha WillieC!

So it doesn't have to vent to atmosphere... OUTSIDE the boat, you say? That's it!

I took it apart but it didn't seem remarkable at the time to note its location, probably because it was just a simple hose that terminated "on the port side, up high, a couple feet back of the bow"...

Knowing DA's experience that requires nearly all woodwork be disassembled to remove the tank, I want to do this once and once only.

I'm actually on my final coats of varnish today. I found a couple "punch list" items that missed the last "final" round. And yes, more double-shifts next week so less time for Albin work. Ugh!

Thanks WIllieC!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

I just had our tank out recently. The vent line followed the fill line to just under the fill fitting. (Just under the deck.)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I just had our tank out recently. The vent line followed the fill line to just under the fill fitting. (Just under the deck.)
That's correct. I didn't take any pictures that show the vent line, but if I recall correctly the vent house went up a bit ending in a U shaped copper tube that hung over the edge this glassed in plywood tray that sits on the upper shelf & holds the anchor chain & rode. The tray is seen here laying where tank normally goes. That may be an owner added feature not found on other boats. That in turn had a drain line leading to the bilges. Before putting it all back together I pulled the anchor & all the rode out & stuck it in the back of my truck. Double check & make sure your tank doesn't have any cracks or leaks before re-installing. It's a pain if you discover a leak after doing all that work & have to pull it back out again. When filling the tank I listen for a change in pitch of the gurgling sound it makes to tell when it's getting near full, or have crew down below watching through the open hand hold of the tank top.
20191017_165531.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Just be careful. If you wash too many dishes you can potentially suck all the oxygen out of the vee berth cabin. You'll notice it if the companionway door is hard to open. Or maybe all that shiny new varnish welded the door to the frame.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

I probably woouldn't hook it up this season but I did run the hoses from the tank to the bow. I am also going to keep dish washing to a minimum.

Companionway door closes like a dream, even with the varnish!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Love your progress, Jon. You're a good sport putting up with all the commentary.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”