• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Bow Chocks

Albin's "power cruisers"
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

A27 Bow Chocks

Post by sailonset »

Brought (finally) our "new" FC out to the mooring yesterday. Immediately faced a quandary attaching the pendant lines. The distance between the chocks and the cleats is so short the splices would sit in the chocks. (This is 3/4" line, but even 5/8" would probably have the same issue.) Something has to be moved or added.
IMG_1127x1200.jpg
What are the chocks bedded in? Just the molded gunnel? Anything below, inside? I'll try to look later, but perhaps someone already knows. I could add cleats further aft on the gunnels or on the deck. Ideal might be a samson post, aka bitt, but that will require some structural work in the forecabin overhead.

I did a lot of work on March Hare this winter/spring, but it never ends. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A27 Bow Chocks

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The chocks (aka fairleads) just bolt through the outer lip of the hull-deck joint. A Samson post right behind your windlass (jealous, I have to pull up our anchor by hand or else spend $1,000+ to install a windlass) would work, that's what we have.
Of course the work never ends! These are 45 to 50 year old boats. Imagine still driving a 1970s car. Actually the structural work to install a Samson post or OEM teak bar cleat (bollard) wouldn't be that hard. Drill holes, seal the holes (drill oversize, fill with epoxy, let cure, drill right size), add backing plate, bed the through bolts. Bada bing, bada boom.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

Ah, didn't see from the water side yesterday. So that's the joint? Could put cleats similarly a ways back to get some distance from the loop. Then the larger issue of a samson post. How is yours mounted? Or backed would be the major point.

Yeah, our 27 came with a lot of nice features: a bow thruster, a newer Yanmar, the windlass (works!) and a new canvas full enclosure. As well as a punk starboard foredeck, probably from the bowsprit, and some delamination of the cockpit seats to the bulkhead. The rest I knew about.

How far have you gotten so this summer?
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

No, the joint is lower. (Blew up some pix.) The 27's bulwark is U-shaped (upside down) and might be pretty strong, depending on the thickness of the glass. I have a feeling that its insides are not accessible. Screwing a cleat on top might be iffy. Ah, challenges!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Oh, I was thinking A25. We've gone nowhere this summer, on COVID lockdown. Boat sits on the trailer collecting dust. Temps are ranging from 112 to 116. Just veging in air conditioning, swimming in the pool at night. Even the unheated pool is hot, water between 86 & 90 degrees.
First summer since 2013 that we haven't gone somewhere with either boat or RV.
20200716_203719.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Before your 27 had a windlass, it had a bitt where the windlass now sits. Ben, '87 27FC
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

LOL! Thanks for that bit of info.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”