• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rebuilding the steering hydraulic cylinder

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Rebuilding the steering hydraulic cylinder

Post by Russell »

Has anyone rebuilt their steering hydraulic cylinder? Teleflex or Seastar sells a seal kit but a local shop tells me it is not an easy repair and they send them to another shop that rebuilds them. I would do it myself if it does not require special tools like a seal press to punch out the old and press in the new ones. If anyone has done it let me know what is involved. Thanks.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Over the years I have tried many things. I have done 2 hydraulic steering installs, changed my A27 from cable to hydraulic & did the same a couple years ago on my Maritime Skiff 14.

I would be very careful on anything expensive that needs special tools. Sometimes it is just cheaper in the long run to give it to the experts.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I was going to attempt to do this, but never got around to it. I decided to purchase a new cylinder and the rebuild kit - in hopes of having a spare. I was told the repair is difficult and that if fixed they normally break again. I guess I sort of forgot about till you just reminded me.

You do need on special tool though. It tells you in the rebuild kit and I acquired it from Grainger Supply for like 15 bucks. It's an odd shaped (crescent like) wrench that seemingly has one purpose.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Thanks for the responses. I think I will let the shop do it. They put in the autopilot during the summer and when the fluid got low two months ago I assumed it was something they had done and they refilled it with no charge. But it has gotten worse and I can finally see fluid leaking from the end of the cylinder. All the connections for the autopilot are tight and dry.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Russell -

Just rebuilt my cylinder last summer and it was a piece of cake. Ordered the Teleflex seal kit from Defender and was worried about the special pin wrench called for to rotate the end fittings around to extract the retainers, but used a rubber strap wrench instead and it worked fine. Neither end was difficult to turn at all.

bleeding the system was the longest part of the job.

Ed
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Ed
Thanks but probably too late. They were supposed to do it yesterday. Too bad because the kit is only $26 at Defender and I like to do things myself when I can so I learn about the boat's systems and know that the work was done correctly.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Rebuilt mine and was a peice of cake.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Merry Kate and Terry

How long ago did you do the rebuild? Any problems since? I still have the parts so maybe I'll give it a whirl.
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Elizabeth Ann -

I did mine earlier in the summer, so probably has about 80 hrs on it with no problems (only trace amounts of fluid on the piston arm). If there is no corrosion or damage, a new seal kit seems to get some more life from the cylinder.

Ed
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Good to know, thanks.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

I rebuilt mine over a year ago. The 28 I bought was on dry land for two years without being used. When she went in the water I was leaking fluid. I assumed it was the seals getting dry from lack of use. Replaced the seals with the rebuild kit and have not had a problem since.

Just pull out the retaining ring holding the ends on and replace the seals. Follow the directions with the kit. Unless you have some type of scaring in the cylinder you should be ready to go. If you do have scaring you could hone the scratches out. Sears tools would have a honing stone you put on a drill that would work just fine.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”