• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Are they Seaworthy and Speed?

Albin's "power cruisers"
allante
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amesbury Ma

A27 Are they Seaworthy and Speed?

Post by allante »

So maybe a dumb question but, are A27 SC seaworthy? And what speeds can be expected with a Yanmar 170hp?
I was originally looking at 28TE's but can obviously buy an A27 for a third the money.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: A27 Are they Seaworthy and Speed?

Post by nebulatech »

The 27 and 28 hulls are miles apart. The 28 is a planing hull while the 27 is semi displacement. Both are great boats. The 28 will be fast. The 27 likely won't exceed 10 knots. The 28 is newer, one reason for the increased cost.

You can do a little digging here in the forum to get a better idea of the performance of each boat, but with a displacement hull or semi displacement, you can't just power your way up to a higher speed. Exceeding hull speed will increase power requirements and fuel consumption at exponential rates.

As for sea keeping, I have no personal experience with either boat but perhaps you could elaborate on the locations you wish to go? For example, here in Charleston, the gulf stream is about 60 miles out. At 10 knots, that's a full day out and back. It's also 6 hours from a safe harbor should conditions rapidly decline. In Florida, the gulf stream is much closer, almost within sight of land (and within range of Towboat US).

It is a bit harder to search the forums for experiences with offshore performance (if that's what you're looking for as opposed to near shore, under 15 miles out). Hopefully some others will share their experiences...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Post by PonusNick »

My A27SC runs a Yanmar 4 cylinder producing 64 horsepower...pushes me at a steady 8 knots at 3/4 throttle burning less than a gallon per hour. WOT gets me to 10 + which is just about the limit of the hull. I've been out in all kinds of conditions...the only one that's trouble is a strong following sea. She's all over if pushed from the rear.
allante
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amesbury Ma

Post by allante »

great info. thanx everyone

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”