• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 VW Engine - Opinions?

Albin's "power cruisers"
allante
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amesbury Ma

A27 VW Engine - Opinions?

Post by allante »

I came across another A27. Waiting on more information. Its part of an estate sale.
It has a VW marine tdi 120-5 diesel engine,
Anyone know anything about them?

thanx
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Re: A27 VW Engine - Opinions?

Post by motthediesel »

I have quite a bit of experience with VW diesels, but I don't know much about that 5 cylinder one. They are pretty much modular, and have been for years, typically VW produces their inline engines in 3, 4, 5, and (sometimes) 6 cylinder versions. I think the one you are talking about is the 5 pot variant of the engine sold here as the 1.9L TDI.

I don't know if it is a common rail engine, or how many parts would be available for it here in NA. I don't think that engine was sold here in a car. Emission cheating aside, the 1.9L TDI is a very good engine, and I would be happy to have one in a boat.

Tom
allante
First Mate
First Mate

Post by allante »

motthediesel wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:27 am I have quite a bit of experience with VW diesels, but I don't know much about that 5 cylinder one. They are pretty much modular, and have been for years, typically VW produces their inline engines in 3, 4, 5, and (sometimes) 6 cylinder versions. I think the one you are talking about is the 5 pot variant of the engine sold here as the 1.9L TDI.

I don't know if it is a common rail engine, or how many parts would be available for it here in NA. I don't think that engine was sold here in a car. Emission cheating aside, the 1.9L TDI is a very good engine, and I would be happy to have one in a boat.

Tom
Hi Tom - Its a 2.5L 120hp 5 cyl. hasnt run in 6 years
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

I drove a VW 5 cylinder diesel delivery van in the early 80s in UK, which I am sure would be the same engine. And it was a great engine, part of the new generation of fast and economical diesels appearing just then, and one that was put in Audi cars a few years later, again in Europe. But, that was then, in Europe, and this is now and in North America.

The problems I see are 1. parts being very expensive and/or obtainable only from Europe; 2. finding a mechanic willing or competent to work on them; 3. resale value for the first two reasons.

However, I am sure that if you do your own mechanicking and are willing to go to the trouble of sourcing parts in Holland or UK, that it should be a great engine.

On balance though, the price would have to be heavily discounted, on the assumption that you'd be repowering. And then you might get a real bargain!

Difficult to find anything about them, this only archived:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110719113 ... ?id=79&L=1

And a dealer called American Nautics..... in Romania!

http://www.american-nautics.ro/en-motoa ... -120-5.php
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
allante
First Mate
First Mate

Post by allante »

Apparently the engine was professionally installed in 2008. I-line 5 cyl with 307 hours. Been on the hard for 6 years.
Hurth Transmission 2.22:1 ratio. 4blade prob.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

It's true that some parts will be difficult to source here, but I bet a lot will the same as the 4 cylinder engine. For instance, the injection pump (probably a Bosch rotary) will be a 5 cylinder unit, but the injectors themselves will likely be interchangeable with the 4 cylinder NA market model. I would bet that the timing belt and tensioners (which probably should be replaced since it's been sitting) will also be the same.

Those are really low hours for the engine, practically brand new, but long term storage is not good for engines, especially diesels. It would be a gamble to buy it, but if the price is right it could also be a real score in the end.

Tom
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

This must be the boat in Massachusetts? I think it was Massachusetts where I saw that listing. The motor looked good, but I would be suspect with parts availability.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

If it’s anything like the VW/Audi marine diesels they pushed out over here in Europe I’d stay away. They only produced them for a short while and had nothing but problems with them. If I recall that engine is based on the diesel power plant used in the T4 and possibly T5 vans. Great in the van, not so great as a marine diesel. I did know a guy who had one, went through 4 turbos that were thankfully replaced under warranty. I can’t be 100% sure but I did hear that the Volvo D3 was a VW block - those engines also have a habit of head gaskets letting go.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”