• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

We nearly got a self draining anchor locker

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

We nearly got a self draining anchor locker

Post by tribologist »

This is one of my favorites.. Or not..

Mr Brohäll crossed out the anchor locker....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Re: We nearly got a self draining anchor locker

Post by ssrig »

looks like he crossed out a cockpit coaming access hatch/hole too!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

ssrig wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:20 am looks like he crossed out a cockpit coaming access hatch/hole too!
We need a time machine so we can go back and get this fixed.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Yeah! I can understand some of the crossed out or moved items that are in red ink (changes or modifications needed etc) like that anchor locker shelf is not deep enough, or moving a cleat around but having a hole there seems like no big deal, why eliminate it?? This image is an interesting one for sure.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Interesting; the cockpit coaming access could have been for jib sheet storage. On a sailboat, that is about where one would expect the winches for the jib. I'm not familiar with the A25 sailing rig, but this boat was of the same era as the famous Albin Vega...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Interesting; the cockpit coaming access could have been for jib sheet storage. On a sailboat, that is about where one would expect the winches for the jib. I'm not familiar with the A25 sailing rig, but this boat was of the same era as the famous Albin Vega...
Wasn't the sail rig was more or less an afterthought option once the A25 was already in production?
A25 mast install from manual.jpg
In the sailing world any boat design is always series of compromises, either pure sailboat or a sailboat leaning more toward motor sailing, like the Nauticats or MacGregor 26X & 26M, or a primarily a motorboat with a sail rig tacked on. Albin 25 is more the latter. It has a round hull like a sailboat, but not with a deep enough or weighted keel to limit leeway and permit anything but an underpowered small rig in terms of square footage sail. Also, like most motor sailers, it has a large prop which unless running the engine induces a lot of drag, besides having a rudder that's not large enough to tack through the wind without engine assist.

Albin attempted to lean more toward a sailboat with a motor rather than motorboat with a sail in producing the 27 foot Albin 82 MS, which is so rare in North America it's almost like finding a one off. It has a weighted fin keel and a more substantial sail rig. The "82MS" refers to 8.2 meter Motor Sailer. Now if I lived in a coastal area or near the Great Lakes & could keep a boat in a slip this would be one to consider, if one could find one. The layout is very similar to the Albin 25, except with better sailing characteristics. Can even be steered with a tiller while sitting on the aft cabin top, or with the wheel just like the 25. It doesn't have a hard wheelhouse but a wrap around glass windshield with full canvas enclosure.

Albin 82MS.jpg
A boat like this could be sweet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxM8qLew2Eg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Steve that's an awesome boat! During the time that I was going to buy a sailboat for living aboard, I looked at a 30-something footer which was a center cockpit, aft cabin much like our A25's and this A28. At the time, it didn't have enough wood on it for me. (I've since had a change of heart, having had to refinish enough of it!) The boat was a British design, production boat, and I can't for the life of me remember the maker. It was all glass, off white like an Island Packet, and had a metal toe rail. It may have been a ketch rig. A great boat, and a missed opportunity I still regret.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”