• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28/30 Anchor Windlass

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Albin 28/30 Anchor Windlass

Post by johnmurray »

Hello All:
My 2004 Albin 30 FC came without an anchor windlass and I declined to have one installed as an extra at the time of delivery. The boat is said to be wired for a windlass however and power cable ends are neatly coiled in the anchor locker. (I have not yet determined where those cables go or what is at the other end...fuses, switches, etc???)
For my primary anchor I have been using a 10KG Bruce with 30 feet of 5/16 chain and 150 feet of 1/2 inch rode. This arrangement seems to work fine, but every time I haul the anchor in it gets heavier, so I think the time has arrived to install a power windlass.
I am seeking the advice of A28 and A30 owners as to what type and brand of windlass they would recommend, whether or not my tackle need be changed, plus any installation tips that may be relevant.
Thanks...John
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

John,
Check around on the web and get some background...there are several sites...if you're a Boat US member go to their forums...there are lots of windless post...and some serious issues with some of the over the counter light weight windlesses. My Albin came with a Muir Windless from Australia. The windless seems to be one size bigger than most charts call for. I think its a Model 1250 Atlantic. This is a really heavy duty windless and I have about 30 of 5/8" chain and 175' of I think 9/16" or possibly one size bigger rode. In the 7 years of the life of the windless only the relay switch has gone bad. I use mine all the time while fishing....the only real problems I have is after a season of use the line twist causing hockles in the line which require that I take the line out and un-twist it. Next year when I do that I'm going to put a swivel in the line. Hopefully that will help.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

j.m.

We have a Lewmar/Simpson Horizon 600. I'm not completely happy with it. The next time around I may get the next size up.

One thing to keep in mind with the windlass wiring. It needs its own separate 70amp circuit (I think it's 70 amps), regardless it needs to be isolated from everything else otherwise on the retrieve you will pull all the power on the boat.

Chief,

Can you direct me to these BoatUS forums? Specifically the ones that deal with windlasses?

Cheers.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Anchor systems need to be matched, all the way from the anchor to the wiring. The anchor needs to be matched to the boat. The chain and rope need to be matched to the anchor and your use patterns. The windlass needs to be matched to the size of your chain and rope, and strong enough to pull your anchor. The wiring needs to be sufficiently sized to handle the load and the run (distance). The circuit breaker needs to be properly sized for the load and the posts need to fit the wire. Finally, your batteries need to be up to the task.

These are all systems and they all work together, and you need to be thinking about that when picking them out. Since you already have the wiring in place, you need to find out how much of a load it can handle. You need to find out where it originates and make sure it has properly sized connections all the way back to the battery. Then, within that constraint, you need to find out what windlasses you can use. If you're hoping to stick with the chain and rope you already have, then you need to select one that will work with that setup. If one is not available, you'll likely be replacing your chain and rope.

West Marine's catalog has a wealth of information about anchor windlass selection and I would start by looking there. I'm sure someone here can tell you what windlass was originally available with your boat, or what has worked for them, but it won't be a difinitive answer for you. What you buy will really depend on your own situation.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Another thing to consider is that most windlass companies don't want you hanging directly on the windless. They want you either cleated or tied to a sampson post.

I find it a real PITA to pay-out slack to tie off on a side cleat. I'm currently trying to figure out how to install a sampson post, but there doesn't seem to be an easy point of access to thru-bolt the post under the deck immediately behind or immediately forward of the windlass. Unless someone here can suggest something.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Elizabeth Ann wrote:Another thing to consider is that most windlass companies don't want you hanging directly on the windless. They want you either cleated or tied to a sampson post.

I find it a real PITA to pay-out slack to tie off on a side cleat. I'm currently trying to figure out how to install a sampson post, but there doesn't seem to be an easy point of access to thru-bolt the post under the deck immediately behind or immediately forward of the windlass. Unless someone here can suggest something.
Hey EA,

It will have to wait for this weekend but I'll take a look at my setup. I have a Sprint 500 windlass with a large (same as the forward, 10" I think) cleat just off center on the bow pulpit. It's very solid but I'm not sure how it's mounted. I tie off to that when anchored. I have it in my head that the underside of the pulpit is a piece of removable trim that would give access.

Doug
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks Dougsea,

please let me know what you find out.

E.A.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

EA,

I found a photo from my sea trial of the windlass setup. Doesn't tell you how they did it but should give you some idea of how it went together. Let's see if I can post the photo...

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks Dougsea! That looks like it should work. I didn't think of that. There is access under there at the anchor locker.

Cheers!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Glad I could help!

Good luck with the project.

Doug
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Here is the Boat US forums. You have to do a search for " windless"...and you might have to be a member or join.....

http://my.boatus.com/forum/
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks Chief, I never knew they had a forum section.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I think you might have better luck searching for "windlass".
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Mariner wrote:I think you might have better luck searching for "windlass".
Good point, "windless" is one of the reasons I own a power boat...
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

making a sampson post..

Post by craw_daddy »

I too am interested in having a good hard point when the weather turns foul. I found this site to be informative on fabricating a traditional wooden sampson post: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/v ... /index.cfm

I haven't looked to see if there was a suitable spot below the location I have in mind for the post (on the hull or stringer) to tie into.

--Dave
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”