• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New controls and panels

Albin's "power cruisers"
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

New controls and panels

Post by motthediesel »

Well, I ditched those nasty Teleflex levers and put in a proper Morse box, sourced from Ebay. I put the throttle on the right, because that's the way I like it. Then I made a new instrument panel with all new Sierra gauges I got at a "Going Out of Business" sale at our local Gander Mountain store. Everything was 80% off -- I paid about $4 each for them. The exception is the EGT gauge, that one was a bit pricey. :) And, that's the tach the boat came with.

All those gauges left no room for switches, so I had to make a new panel above for those. It's made from an old Kidde non-refillable fire extinguisher, it's aluminum, and I polished it. Those are LED's above the toggles, and the circuit breakers are on top.

Those cheesy labels are temporary, I think I'll make decals to finish it properly. It's not wired up yet, but I'll get there soon. Like everyone else, I'm "not going anywhere for a while" :wink:

Tom
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Re: New controls and panels

Post by Bob Noodat »

Beautiful job! Looks like a real Cape Cod fishing boat.

I would think any decent engraver would be able to make up small brass name plates with engraved or black labelling, that you could then lacquer.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

Nice design, and very ingenious!
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

Good resourcefulness and ingenuity. Looks good. Nice job.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Awesome!
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

That's a VERY IMPRESSIVE piece of work. AND you recycled all sorts of stuff - Kudos.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

All you need now is a flux capacitor.
That is nice work and you had fun doing it. Double win!
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Did you install a new engine stop (fuel shutoff) cable? If so, what was your source? I want to switch out our original as it is awfully stiff and I fear that I may pull the plastic knob off. I was told by a marina owner at the Chi Boat Show that it should be a "finger tip" operation. I was going to have them install a new one, but with the boat presently held captive in my driveway, I want to just go ahead and install myself.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Google shows me a variety of fuel shut-off cables for tractors, etc.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I use a big red knob labeled PTO, also from a tractor. I routed and placed it where it would reach without cutting and not too many bends. Pulls easy.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

NickScheuer wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:22 am Did you install a new engine stop (fuel shutoff) cable? If so, what was your source? I want to switch out our original as it is awfully stiff and I fear that I may pull the plastic knob off. I was told by a marina owner at the Chi Boat Show that it should be a "finger tip" operation. I was going to have them install a new one, but with the boat presently held captive in my driveway, I want to just go ahead and install myself.
Sorry Nick, but the Peugeot uses a solenoid fuel stop, so I can’t help you. That’s a good point though, I should carry a spare. I always did with my various VW’s — that’s the best was to insure you’ll never need one 😉

Tom
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Depending on how your cable is constructed you may just have to oil it. If it is a coil wound cover over a solid core wire all you need to do is occasionally spread a little oil along the top of the casing. This cured the problem for me.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

To help free up your cable, you might be able to use one of these motorcycle cable lube tools.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-01 ... B0012TYX9W

I used to use one on my Norton -- the insides of the cables were the only place on that bike not leaking oil. :wink:
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

That is a nice array of guages! Nice work, seems like I have no information on my boat compared to that!
But you know what they say, “ ignorance is bliss”

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”