• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Would an A25 fit in a 40' shipping container....

Albin's "power cruisers"
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Would an A25 fit in a 40' shipping container....

Post by Bob Noodat »

.... without being Sawzalled? On the face of it I realize that the beam is something like 10" too broad, but what about if it were sitting on a cradle that tipped it 30° or so? Has anyone ever tried anything so foolish? Is there any angle that would fit the Albin into the cross section of a sea-can?
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Would an A25 fit in a 40' shipping container....

Post by DCatSea »

Even if it would "fit" I would be very wary.
Several years ago our much loved and very experienced Toyota 4x4, which I had driven mainly off-road in Yemen "bandit country" for 5 years; including 2 return trips from Yemen to Kuwait, and all over southern Saudi Arabia, was unceremoniously fork-lifted out of a 40' container in Baltimore. I was not there to supervise. The stevedores managed to rip up the suspension and torsion bars, put a 90 degree bend in an expensive upgraded shock absorber, put a fork through the passenger side door and do a bunch of damage to the rest of the bodywork and the camper top.
Three months later said Toy was stolen from outside our home in Virginia; so much for bandits in Yemen ( mere amateurs).

Not that this would happen to an A25, but just sayin' you would need to personally supervise it in and out, if indeed it would fit at all.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

I guess you have to insure it.

But I know that an A27FC would not fit.

How did the A25s get over here in the first place?
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

We had great insurance that covered everything suffered in transit.
I suspect A25s came as covered deck cargo, but then again, merchant vessels can have enormous hatches on cargo decks and seamen who know how to stow stuff securely below and on top.
Where do you intend shipping from/to?
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

From wherever I find one to where I am!

It would just open another option. Everything I find is a long way from me, container shipping is competitive and cheap.

=============

Come to think of it, I don't actually know how tall an A25 is. A high cube container is 8'10" internally, but the door opening is 5" less. That sounds a bit short too.

I may have to delete this thread. It is looking like my bright idea is dimmer than I first thought. I may be about to disprove the old saying: There's no such thing as a stupid question.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

They get shipped on car transporters. Fitted into a “dolly”. Ideally you want a cradle the boat is sat in to go on the dolly so it can be forklifted off, otherwise the cost of dock side cranes costs a bomb. Look through my early posts from almost seven years ago and you’ll see the dolly and cradle my 28te was sat on when delivered from the US.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 4&start=15

scroll down the page to see what i mean :)
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Another alternative maybe worth exploring is Freight Train. Seriously - a cradle on a flatbed with shrink wrap; I'm sure I've seen this done. Small road trailer to the railhead, let the train take the strain, then again from the train to your final destination. Alternative 2 - road trailer all the way. We paid less than 2K from SC to MD, with no hassles like permits or whatever.

A simple google search revealed: https://www.a1autotransport.com/take-ad ... -by-train/ (I don't know these people, but jus' sayin')
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Friends of ours bought an Alden 44 sloop a couple years ago. It was located on lower Chesapeake Bay on the west shore of Virginia. They had professional transporters truck it on a big trailer all the way across the country to Anacortes, WA & sailed it to Sidney, BC where it's docked to this day. If they could do that with a 44 ft sailboat then an Albin 25 would be a piece of cake. When you do find an A25 that didn't come with a trailer (say for instance "Manatee" in Gananoque, ON) and your situation was such that you otherwise don't need a trailer (seasonal marina docking & winter storage on the hard), then the cost of professional transport would would offset the cost to obtain your own trailer.

They cruised with us & WillieC for part of the 2018 Desolation Sound cruise, even rafted up with us in Squirrel Cove Bay.
DSCN4268.JPG
DSCN4311(1).jpg
DSCN4304 (1280x960).jpg
DSCN4305(1) (1280x960).jpg
https://usa.topboats.com/otros/barcos-o ... xe-manatee

As far as I know Manatee is still for sale in Gananoque, ON. I know the seller & I think he's fairly motivated, is looking to upsize to a larger classic trawler. Price is under $10K in US dollar equivalent, which is a steal for a turn key boat with a good engine. No trailer, but a) it's already in Canada, no importation or currency exchange hassles b) reasonably priced, c)has large solar panel & nice 12V fridge cooler, and d) could be professionally transported & then you could decide whether to get a trailer or not at your leisure. I have personally been on this boat for a ride on the St. Lawrence. It did have some vibration issues but the owner tells me those have been corrected.

When the folks we bought our boat from purchased it in 2001 from an estate it was located in Ontario Province & they trailered it all the way out to Idaho.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Thanks DA. I believe that price is in US dollars still, not Canadian. If the price dropped the 30%, sorry 40%, down to Canadian dollars it would make a difference indeed. This is the listing on Popyachts as of today, April 9th. Note currency.
20200409_062027.jpg
A year ago it was US $12k, before broker listing. Upon listing it jumped 2k. The listing you linked above says that it has dropped from $15,350 to $14k, but unless that happened between midnight and 12:01 am on some day in the last week then it has remained at US $14k unchanged for a year. Believe me, I have kept an eye on it, simply because it always shows up in my regular searches for A25s and the price is always on the thumbnail link. Just a typo by the professional broker, I feel sure he wouldn't be crooked, not in that profession.

And as you know yourself, there are reasons it may not be such a steal. No point in discussing that here. I have deleted my earlier comments on the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by Bob Noodat on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

It's a good prospect to keep and eye on. Look at the list of boats on Albineers of BC that have sold & the "comp" figures. Those were advertised prices, so who knows how much they actually ended up getting. Elfine is shown as a new listing but if you go to the Vancouver advert it's shown as sold. Of those boats in the BC sold list I have seen Breakaway and Mairi in person. Alanje is not listed there but it changed hands in the last couple years.
20180721_102358.jpg
20180721_102423.jpg
DSCN4432 (1280x960).jpg
Manatee's owner Stephen is a good guy & I'm sure he'd make a fair deal if you can't find anything closer. His wife bakes awesome butter tarts!
20170903_101545.jpg
20170902_135316.jpg
Then there's also Shatoosh, the 'famous' A25 formerly owned by Hira Reid. Her blog is here & note the link to the new owner's blog which hasn't had anything new posted on it since setting it up in 2018.

http://shatooshandpashmina.blogspot.com ... toosh.html

That new owner is Joyce Winough who did keep it part time in Green Valley, AZ and part time in Courtenay near Comox, BC on Vancouver Island. I was in touch with her for awhile three years ago and we met when she first bought it but she travels a lot internationally on business & she wasn't there went we docked in Comox during the Desolation Sound cruise & haven't heard from her lately. She did however bring it out to Lake Pleasant for a shakedown when she first got it & it has a newer Volvo engine, but it had some raw water pump problems she wasn't able to run it on the lake. She may or may not be a prospect open the possibly selling that boat. You'd have to contact her to find out. I have her phone & email if you're interested, which I can PM to you if you want. Her blog doesn't have any contact info listed. But I suspect she might not have been doing much with that boat. It does have a trailer. Right now I don't know if it's still in Courtenay or down here in Arizona. I suspect the former.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:36 pm It's a good prospect to keep and eye on. Look at the list of boats on Albineers of BC that have sold & the "comp" figures. Those were advertised prices, so who knows how much they actually ended up getting. Elfine is shown as a new listing but if you go to the Vancouver advert it's shown as sold. Of those boats in the BC sold list I have seen Breakaway and Mairi in person. Alanje is not listed there but it changed hands in the last couple years.

20180721_102358.jpg
20180721_102423.jpg
DSCN4432 (1280x960).jpg

Manatee's owner Stephen is a good guy & I'm sure he'd make a fair deal if you can't find anything closer. His wife bakes awesome butter tarts!
20170903_101545.jpg
20170902_135316.jpg

Then there's also Shatoosh, the 'famous' A25 formerly owned by Hira Reid. Her blog is here & note the link to the new owner's blog which hasn't had anything new posted on it since setting it up in 2018.

http://shatooshandpashmina.blogspot.com ... toosh.html

That new owner is Joyce Winough who did keep it part time in Green Valley, AZ and part time in Courtenay near Comox, BC on Vancouver Island. I was in touch with her for awhile three years ago and we met when she first bought it but she travels a lot internationally on business & she wasn't there went we docked in Comox during the Desolation Sound cruise & haven't heard from her lately. She did however bring it out to Lake Pleasant for a shakedown when she first got it & it has a newer Volvo engine, but it had some raw water pump problems she wasn't able to run it on the lake. She may or may not be a prospect open the possibly selling that boat. You'd have to contact her to find out. I have her phone & email if you're interested, which I can PM to you if you want. Her blog doesn't have any contact info listed. But I suspect she might not have been doing much with that boat. It does have a trailer. Right now I don't know if it's still in Courtenay or down here in Arizona. I suspect the former.
Thanks again DA. Yes, I do keep an eye on the Albineers. Elfine must have sold a long time ago, before I was even looking. One other unsold boat is listed, but I have seen her and came close to purchasing her before I saw her. She is a sadly neglected project, unfortunately. Cost me a lot to see her, but just as well I did! The pictures I was sent were almost all of them over 14 years old.........

Yes, please PM me, that would be a nice, well used boat. In classic cars, I'd rather have a daily driver with 200,000 miles on it than a not-driven-in-ten-years with 5000 miles on the clock. And I have experience of both.
Last edited by Bob Noodat on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

DCatSea wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:05 am Another alternative maybe worth exploring is Freight Train. Seriously - a cradle on a flatbed with shrink wrap; I'm sure I've seen this done. Small road trailer to the railhead, let the train take the strain, then again from the train to your final destination. Alternative 2 - road trailer all the way. We paid less than 2K from SC to MD, with no hassles like permits or whatever.

A simple google search revealed: https://www.a1autotransport.com/take-ad ... -by-train/ (I don't know these people, but jus' sayin')

Thanks for that. That is very interesting and had not occurred to me. I shall pursue the idea further.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

You're very welcome. I haven't put anything freight-wise on a train, but am a huge believer in rail travel and freight transport. There's nothing like a couchette on the DC to San Diego run, via Chicago, Denver and SLC. Even the humble commuter train (not Acela) from DC to NYC is a blast. Love the Coaster from San Diego to Oceanside (and it's so cheap). DC to Charleston is a great run and gets you there almost as fast as a commuter plane (taking in ground transportation, TSA, and associated security measures). My trusty mate tells me the San Diego to Vancouver train is spectacular. We just take our own food and drinks as the modern Dining Car/Cafe is but a distant relative of how it used to be. We're hoping to do the NYC to Vancouver run sometime.
Regarding freight, CSX runs regular tank, flatbed and container trains through Alexandria, and they are always a treat to see, carrying containers from all over the country and the World.
Last Xmas we drove 66/40 which has rail lines running along much of its length, especially in the Plains and West. Fabulous doesn't describe it for me.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

My owner's manual lists the total height of the boat as 9 feet from the deepest part of the keel to the base of the mast support. That would be the folding wooden mast on top of the pilot house.
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”