• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Beta 25 exhaust

Albin's "power cruisers"
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

A25 Beta 25 exhaust

Post by honza »

Installing Beta 25, the standard exhaust elbow comes very low, close to the waterline. There is not enough room for the optional high elbow under the cowling, but it would fit if modified as shown. What do you think? Could there be a problem with the vertical fall?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: A25 Beta 25 exhaust

Post by Ambler27FC »

I just installed a Beta 50 in an A27. Slightly different application, but got the high rise exhaust, cut and rotated 90 degrees so that it did not interfere with the bulkhead. Simple job that Beta concurred with. The water is spayed into an outer cooling jacket. I would trust Beta’s advise. There might be a little less cooling at the hose connection with a more vertical elbow but Beta would know.

Found placement of the lift muffler to meet their specs the biggest watch item. The original design was much less conservative, but also did not fail
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Only comment & advice here is to perhaps contact Joe DeMers at Sound Marine Diesel in Connecticut. He's done that exact installation of Beta 25 in an Albin 25. Perhaps he can provide some insights from actual experience?

Otherwise can only compare to our Yanmar 3GM30F in which the top of the engine & conventional cast exhaust elbow is very close to the top of the engine box & note the cockpit floorboards are at or just slightly above the waterline.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
BCboater
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by BCboater »

When I did my Beta 30 installation I solved this problem by running a cooling loop into the portside locker adjacent to the engine bay, with a vented loop at the top of the run. I've attached a couple of pictures. You can PM me if you have any questions. Happy boating (good time to be on the water, away from other people)!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

BCboater,

Is that you Mike S/Pagerus?
pagarus.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

Pagurus.... that would be my nominee for best A25 name yet. I hope its pet name is Bernard.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

Thanks BCboater. I keep it as a plan B, but for the time being, I stick with the modified elbow. Beta expressed willingness to make the modification, after the virus shut down is over in England. It comes out a bit higher than the original AD21 set-up, I also added a riser at the transom and a new Vitus NLP pot. I do not have a sail rig and I do not plan to cross the oceans, at least not with this one. So I think that I am all set. How high is your loop above the WTL?
It is snowing hard here and Slow Poke is in the barn, waiting for a new shaft and few other finishing touches - so no fun on the water yet. Last week, after an almost year long fight, we finally got federally documented :-)
Slow Poke A25 #1110
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

Had a closer look at it today. The vented loop is much better solution, than the custom elbow, I was proposing. Much cheaper too! I will go with Vetus AIRVETH, which should be spitting water less, if at all.
Slow Poke A25 #1110

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”