• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Question re USCG Sewage Regulations

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Morning Star

Question re USCG Sewage Regulations

Post by Morning Star »

Does anyone know where I can find info on the USCG regs re sewage disposal in the Pacific NW?

We're located in Vancouver, BC and our dumping regs re sewage are not quite as strict as I understand the USCG regs are. From what I understand, when we're in US waters, any seacocks that would permit sewage discharge overboard have to be locked or sealed, so that the only outlet is via the holding tank pump-out route.

What I don't understand is the lock issue; is it my lock to prevent inadvertent discharge or one provided by the USCG?

I'm in the middle of redoing my head, holding tank, and discharge plumbing right now, so I'd be grateful for any comments, help, or suggestions.

Thx.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

As best I understand it the lock, which is normally on your Y-valve, would be the type of thing you couldn't 'correct' while a CG boarding party was observing you. So, if it's locked shut you're ok, if not, you have a problem.

On my boat the Y-valve is wire-tied in the 'tank' position and the overboard discharge is closed with the operating handle removed and wire-tied to the side of the valve.

Essentially the head must be secured in a way to prevent discharge of waste into the water.

Here's one good link on the topic. Heads are covered about mid-way down the page:

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/cour ... /4_2_f.php

Hope that helps.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Morning Star

USCG Sewage Regulations

Post by Morning Star »

Thx Doug; info included in the link was perfect!
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. The restrictive US rules are written with the intent of protecting the shallow, and confined waters in the southeast. Up here, the CG really doesn't care about things like Y-valves. Obviously, you don't want to discharge right in front of a CG boat, or in any confined harbor, but it's very unlikely that you'd get in any trouble for not having your discharge valve "locked".

I've been boarded twice by the USCG, and never once did they even ask to see it. They care more about life jackets, flares, and running lights.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

On the Chesapeake we have to disconnect the overboard hose and cap it off. I have been boarded twice in 25 years. Both times they looked quickly in the bilge but I don't think they knew where to look. (or they are that good)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”