• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Window Replacements

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Window Replacements

Post by rebuckley »

I have a question - seeking any advice or input - but probably opening a Pandora's box (like asking what to use on teak). We are planning on replacing our windows - many of which have leak areas on the angles. My buddy and I were tossing the idea of using a poly-carbonate (like lexan) instead of glass. I think it would make the job much simpler. I am thinking of the main windows (not sliding) for this job. We could simply remove the teak frame, and after clean up screw the lexan right in place. After that either new teak framing (or even "faux-teak" to reduce the work). Any thoughts or experiences?
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Re: Window Replacements

Post by cdsailor »

In the classic (plastic) sailboat scene, screwing lexan over old port cutouts is fairly common and a viable solution to fixing annoying leaks. It's a much more modern look, but if you trimmed them with wood, they'd look close enough to the original design. Go for it, and let us know how it turns out. ;)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”