• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sleeping in quarter berth

cdahmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sleeping in quarter berth

Post by cdahmen »

Most discussion about the quarter berth in 28s that i have read is that they are used for storage.Is there anybody out there that actually sleeps in this area?I am a snorer and probably will be trying to sleep there to keep the boss happy.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I keep mine pretty clear. Usually just keep a few pillows in there.
We did one trip with a friend. He is about 5'10". He said it wasn't bad.
When I was at the Sassafras meet-up, Mike and Beth (Time Out-Annapolis) had two friends with them. They both stayed in there. I asked them the next morning how it was. They just said "cozy"
Last edited by jcollins on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I sleep in the quarter berth all the time and I like it. Since my boat is the 30FC with the aft cabin, my guests use that and we (almost) never have used the V-berth in the main cabin. We find it very convenient not to have to bother rigging and un-rigging the V-berth.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

We use ours and it is fine unless it is hot and humid out, then we set up both bunks. I must admit I sleep better there than my mate does. I find it very comfy.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I have spent more than a few nights in the quarter berth on my flush deck. Would I like about 6 more inches of height and width - sure. I'm 6'2" and it is a little snug.

My only problem is having the refrigerator at my head. Mine cycles way too often in my book and keeps me awake.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

The only thing I can add here having slept in mine a few times is, I would definitely add some more padding to sleep on unless you find a very firm mattress comfortable. I find the Vberth cushions to be easier to sleep on for some reason. Other than that it's fine.

Not wanting to hijack this thread , but do any other's add padding and what do you use?? I use an backpacking roll up pad that helps but I'm looking for something a little more comfortable that doesn't take up to much room.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I put one inch of foam padding on top of the existing pad, then I put a plastic mattress cover over everything and I just keep it that way. Then the sheets and blanket on top of that. It's pretty comfortable and I understand the comment about the refrigerator, mine is the same.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

padding

Post by RicM »

1 inch of memory foam (available at Wal Mart) makes the patchwork of the V berth cushions into a great sleeping area. If you keep the refridgerator turned up high then turn off the power right at bedtime it will stay pretty cold until dawn if you don't open the door.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

We purchased a 1.5 inch thick memory-foam mattress pad from Walmart (Consumers Report rated this pad a a Best Buy). We got the King size and cut it down to fit the V-berth and had our canvas guy sew up the pad cover to match the foam V-shape. The original cover that came with the pad had a zipper on three sides but when we cut it down only the wide end now has the zipper. It is a little difficult to get the foam back in the cover but it is not a problem.

This arrangement made a 100 percent improvement in comfort and would also work good for the quarter berth.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Thanks for all the responses!

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by Mike »

The true secret is to party hard with everyone and just sleep like a rock! It also helps if you've been camping a lot.
Time Out Annapolis
Morning Star

Window Blind Photos

Post by Morning Star »

Here are the missing photos of a cool window blind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Mike wrote:The true secret is to party hard with everyone and just sleep like a rock! It also helps if you've been camping a lot.
We call it the "drunk" berth :lol:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”