• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Generator overheating problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I sure wouldn't use 5200 or any other sealer. If you're having problems with the boots holding a seal, I'd suggest just replacing the boots and hose clamps.
Morning Star

31TE Generator Cooling

Post by Morning Star »

Yes, I agree 5200 would be a little aggressive and would be impossible to service in the future. However, Permatex might work as a temporary fix.

The potential problem seems to be the sealing surfaces on the heat exchanger core. If the surface of the core is corroded or rough in any way, a proper seal would be difficult to achieve, and would be an easy route for raw water into the cooling system.

My exchanger is out for cleaning now, and I think I'll have a m/c shop take a skim off each end, just so the sealing surface is smooth and perfectly round. That plus new boots and high-quality (AWAB) SS clamps should do the trick.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

The sealing surface on the core would have to be very corroded and rough for a properly pliable rubber boot to not seal against it. Bad enough that it should probably be replaced. If not replaced, at least sanded and polished. And if it still didn't seal, replacing the boot with a newer one would most likely solve it.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”