• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bulkhead, Samson post, and core repair

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Bulkhead, Samson post, and core repair

Post by cdsailor »

A YouTuber I am not. I generally get caught up in what I'm doing and too impatient to fuss with a camera, so the footage isn't exactly gripping, but here are parts I and II of some repairs I began last winter and finished up in June/July. This was a fairly involved task, but nothing too challenging. Getting the weather to cooperate was probably the biggest challenge: it was either too cold or too hot!

https://youtu.be/i2LN3bgyPEw
https://youtu.be/_7tTfUDx8qw
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Bulkhead, Samson post, and core repair

Post by WillieC »

OK, WOW! One piece at a time. Very nice work. Isn't it nice to have THAT behind you?
I'm impressed.

Looks like you have plenty of spare time on your hands so come on out west. I have some projects for you, just so you don't get bored. You see one of the San Juans or Gulf Islands, you've seen 'em all. Bring the crew! All mine are grown and gone, so nice planning on your part.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

Oops, there are actually three videos related to the same project. Here’s the middle video, or part 2 of 3.

https://youtu.be/0gjUi1VWeQQ

Yes, WillieC, it’s good to have it done. I performed the repairs over a series of Sundays and my summer vacation. I’m fortunate to have summers “off.”
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Apparently you have prior experience with this type of project. Makes me fall in love with my A25 all over again. What kind of shape are your walk-around decks in? and aft? Is that two or three more summers?

Make sure you get out there this summer. Keep posting videos. Here it is 10am and I need all the help I can get justifying not getting to my projects.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

WillieC wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:04 pm Is that two or three more summers?
It's no more summers. She'll splash in April 2020.
WillieC wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:04 pm Here it is 10am and I need all the help I can get justifying not getting to my projects.
I've discovered that the hardest part is getting going. And the most productive approach is an hour here or a couple hours there - whatever drives the project forward. Some work is better than no work.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

cdsailor, nice videos, nice work!

You mentioned your sheet goods as, if I heard correctly, "maranteak," is that right?

I'm not familiar with it. Can you elaborate or send a product link? I tried the Google, but I couldn't find it. I'm researching materials for remaking the interior of my A25, possibly to include the anchor locker bulkhead. Thanks!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

Nebulatech,

There are a few grades of marine plywood. The "gold standard" these days in marine plywood is something with a BS 1088 stamp. I used "Hydrotek" Meranti from a local lumberyard. There are other choices depending upon intended use and desired grain pattern - e.g., okoume or sapele.

This company has a good selection and informative product descriptions: https://www.marine-plywood.us/mahogany_meranti.htm

Good luck with your project.

David
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Thanks for getting back, their prices are great, but I can't stomach the shipping ($250 minimum) for just two sheets....

I will probably end up using Okoume or Sapele as you mentioned. Sapele lumber is easy to get around my parts.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

nebulatech wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:23 pm Thanks for getting back, their prices are great, but I can't stomach the shipping ($250 minimum) for just two sheets....

I will probably end up using Okoume or Sapele as you mentioned. Sapele lumber is easy to get around my parts.
Yeah, I sourced my Meranti at a local yard. I'd bet you could find it near you, too.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”