• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sanitation hoses

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Sanitation hoses

Post by Jkraft »

Hi all, what is the rule of thumb on how often to replace the sanitation hoses? I believe mine to be original. I do get a head smell in the boat from time to time. I don’t think my vent is working, but somehow the system still works. I say this because when i pump out I need to have someone pushing on the toilet flush for it to pull it out. I do see i have an charcoal filter connected in line to the vent. I doubt it’s been replaced anytime in the last ten years. Could that be the source of my clogged vent?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Sanitation hoses

Post by Tree »

Quite possibly. One thing that causes the smell I urine in the hose. The disgusting thing is it can build up a scale inside the hose over time and as the hose ages it’s begins to permeate through the hose wall causing the head smell. Once a year I will put a descaling solution through the head discharge hoses to over come the build up and at the end of each trip I use Jabsco toilet cleaner which seems to do the job. The smell is really only ever evident during the summer when the boat has been left for a week or more now. Mine has the original hoses I’m sure but being 6’4” - changing them out is not a job for me!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

I hear that! I’m 6’2 and 270. Not something I was looking forward to!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Tree, what do you use to descale it?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

A couple of things:

1). Albin, as most boat builders, used the least expensive sanitation hose on the market and it was only good for a few seasons before it started to permeate. Wipe a rag over the sanitaion hose and then give the rag a wif. If it smells the hose is ready to be replaced. Last spring I replaced 40 ft. of head hose on my 31TE as my rear bilge where the hoding tank is was too sweet smelling for my liking! I replaced all of my sanitaion hose. I primarily used Trident 102, white hose. Trident 101, black hose is available .. same as 102, but less money and black. A couple of tight bends / short pieces on the vacuflush tank I used Raritan Saniflex which is another top quality hose. The Saniflex is much more flexible. Both Trident 101/102 and Raritan Saniflex have 10 year permeation warranties. I used Trident 148 to replace the vent hose as the 101/102 and Saniflex are not available in the narrower diameter of the vent hose. At the same time I replaced all of the duckbills throughout the Vacuflush tank and pumps. It was verrrry nice having a totally odor free season!

2). Pushing on the toilet flush for pumpout is a sign that your vent is clogged if you do not have a separate vent on top of the tank for pumpout purposes. Vacuflush systems have these vents/flappers on the top of their tanks.

If the holding tank has ever been overfilled the effluent will rise up the vent and very possibly into the charcoal filter. If this happens the charcoal filter will plug and become ineffective and the vent will become plugged. This happened to me one time on my 28 with Jabsco electrc push button head and I never pushed the holding tank capacity again and added a gauge. I have found that I can get about 18 effective months out of a charcoal filter before the vent begins to permeate odor on the fush and I now just change it out annually at spring commissioning.

20190519_191743.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Pitou thank you for taking the time with your detailed response. I know the head has been repeatedly over filled by the previous owner as well as by me once. When the do not flush light turns on it’s almost too late. I’ll start with the rag test and go ahead and change the filter and see what’s happens from there. Thank you again!
Pitou wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:53 pm A couple of things:

1). Albin, as most boat builders, used the least expensive sanitation hose on the market and it was only good for a few seasons before it started to permeate. Wipe a rag over the sanitaion hose and then give the rag a wif. If it smells the hose is ready to be replaced. Last spring I replaced 40 ft. of head hose on my 31TE as my rear bilge where the hoding tank is was too sweet smelling for my liking! I replaced all of my sanitaion hose. I primarily used Trident 102, white hose. Trident 101, black hose is available .. same as 102, but less money and black. A couple of tight bends / short pieces on the vacuflush tank I used Raritan Saniflex which is another top quality hose. The Saniflex is much more flexible. Both Trident 101/102 and Raritan Saniflex have 10 year permeation warranties. I used Trident 148 to replace the vent hose as the 101/102 and Saniflex are not available in the narrower diameter of the vent hose. At the same time I replaced all of the duckbills throughout the Vacuflush tank and pumps. It was verrrry nice having a totally odor free season!

2). Pushing on the toilet flush for pumpout is a sign that your vent is clogged if you do not have a separate vent on top of the tank for pumpout purposes. Vacuflush systems have these vents/flappers on the top of their tanks.

If the holding tank has ever been overfilled the effluent will rise up the vent and very possibly into the charcoal filter. If this happens the charcoal filter will plug and become ineffective and the vent will become plugged. This happened to me one time on my 28 with Jabsco electrc push button head and I never pushed the holding tank capacity again and added a gauge. I have found that I can get about 18 effective months out of a charcoal filter before the vent begins to permeate odor on the fush and I now just change it out annually at spring commissioning.

20190519_191743.jpg
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

In addition to Pitou's great advice. It may be your whole vent tube (between the tank and charcoal filter) as that stuff will solidify. Also look for any low spots in the tube from the vent - things will collect there - it should be an "uphill" climb for the vent tube. Sometimes people replace the vent line with a long tube, and don't tie it up correctly.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

rebuckley wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:46 am In addition to Pitou's great advice. It may be your whole vent tube (between the tank and charcoal filter) as that stuff will solidify. Also look for any low spots in the tube from the vent - things will collect there - it should be an "uphill" climb for the vent tube. Sometimes people replace the vent line with a long tube, and don't tie it up correctly.
Awesome, thanks for the advice!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:

Return to “Albin Maintenance”