• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peugeot 4D61 mixing elbow

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Peugeot 4D61 mixing elbow

Post by motthediesel »

I'm adding an exhaust gas temperature gauge to the new instrument panel for our 27FC. Our boat (new to us) came with a huge 19x12 prop, and I really want to see how much load that puts on the engine at higher revs.

The best place to put the probe would be in the bare 2" pipe nipple between the manifold and the mixing elbow. I didn't think there would be enough "meat" in the nipple to tap it for the probe, so I would need to weld on a short pipe collar. I didn't want to weld in the boat, so I removed the four bolts from the flange and removed the whole assembly.

As is so often the case, once I got a look at the parts, I decided that it would be a good idea to replace everything with new. The elbow, which looked OK on the outside, was pretty scaled-up inside, and thin in some places too. I checked, and I found that it is still available from Buck-Algonquin, and not too pricey, but I thought it might be fun to make my own from stainless.

I found everything I would need online in 316 SS. A 2" 45 deg threaded elbow, a 3" 45 deg weld-joint elbow, a 1/2" 90 deg street elbow for the injector, a 3/4" street elbow for the hose connection, and two 1/4" weld-on collars.

A bit of cutting, fitting, drilling, and then some MIG welding, and we had a complete unit. I'm out of practice on SS welding, so my beads won't win any awards, but they are strong and functional. As this elbow is now completely jacketed, it needs a drain point on the bottom, and that was what the second collar was for.

It looks so nice now I hate to put that nasty old exhaust hose on it, I might have to replace that now too!

Tom
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Peugeot 4D61 mixing elbow

Post by WillieC »

Very cool! Who needs a new elbow when you can make one? Nice going.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Nice work! How hard was it to mig stainless?
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Well, I’ve done a bit of stainless MIG in the past, but I’m out of practice. I also had no tri- mix gas, so I used C25, which is not ideal. 316 SS is a “cold” material, and the puddle freezes very fast, so it’s hard to lay a nice flat bead.

With the C25 you don’t get that nice “straw yellow” color either, but the welds are strong and they should be quite corrosion-resistant as well.

I live in dairy country, and the milk processing industry relies on SS piping. MIG is the standard technique in dairies, but it’s done by professionals who do it every day — that’s not me. ;<)

Tom
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

You did a nice job! I've got a bottle of trimix in the shop I haven't touched. I wish you had been closer. I bought a tig welder and now I have something else I can do poorly.
I haven't been up to the thousand islands since I was a kid and that was a longtime ago. I hope your dairy business is doing better than ours.
I enjoy all the projects you are doing. Happy New Year!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”