• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Strange electrical junction device?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Strange electrical junction device?

Post by sailonset »

Hi all,
My first (and merely the first) question about the innards of our '85 27FC. Trying to understanding the charging system. The PO told me that the house bank is charged only by the shore power charger. Not good for anchoring out! Right above the battery box is this finned contraption. The two batteries are connected to it. The third wire might go to the windlass/thruster battery. (Many places to trace!) This battery is supposedly charged only by the Yanmar.

But this thing is connected to the alternator by the red wire to the right. The black w/ red tape go to the batteries. The large reds behind must go to the big red switches. Some sort of combiner?
Best,
dge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Strange electrical junction device?

Post by dkirsop »

Looks like a battery isolator which allows two batteries to be charged from a single alternator. It only permits the flow if electricity in one direction - from the alternator to the batteries.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Strange electrical junction device?

Post by WillieC »

Had to goggle it. I had one of these on my "ECONOLINE" (8MPG) pleasure van.

https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Charge ... gK1T_D_BwE

I have mine (2 grp 31) charging through an Echo charger. Lots of ways to do this. Mine is simply a one battery system with two batteries installed. The second one is just sitting there keeping charged by the echo charger. I also have a One, Two, Both, Off switch for emergency use only. The Number One starts the engine and powers minimal LED lights and a rarely used little inverter, used mainly for the laptop recharge. I swap the main battery leads at the start of each season. Going on six years thusly. Plain old lead acid batts. When it gets dark, we hit the sack.

Some day I keep telling myself I'm going to do the big upgrade...Solar, remote voltage regulator, serpentine belt, 100 plus amp alternator, multi-batt multi-stage charger, AGMs or the latest greatest thing, etc.

But this works for our use for now. I just keep an eye on things, water level, belt and tension, loose connections, low demand when the sun goes down. Hey! We're camping on our A25. Just bought a spare alternator for around 100usd from DB Electric. Will install it this winter so I get some use from the warranty.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”