• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

leaking rudder post

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

leaking rudder post

Post by Saltdog »

I have a small amount of water coming in through the rudder post. Is that common, or is there a way to fix that. I have not tried to tighten the packing bolts as I don't have a wrench that big in the first place, and I don't want to end up making my steering any harder (if that might happen).

Any advice?

TS
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

jpwrist
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jpwrist »

I have a 2001 28' Albin TE and also have a leak near the top of the rudder post and it appears to be the packing. I just spoke to a person that will repack it and he asked me if it can be done in the water. I am not at the boat now and don't have a manual with me here. Does anyone know if it can be done in the water or will I have to haul her out.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Jos
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Generally it's not a good idea to replace the packing while the boat is in the water. It's not impossible, but it's rather difficult, from what I've been told. Never tried it myself.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I would try tightening the packing a little first. The stuffing lasts for years on a drive shaft with the high speed rotation, so it should last nearly forever on a rudder post. I just had a mechanic do mine because the lock nut was so tight I could not budge it with a big pipe wrench. If tightening does not stop it and it is inconvenient to haul out you could just add a ring or two of stuffing on top of the old and then do it right at your next haul out. If you precut your stuffing rings and have everything ready to go you could probably pull out the old stuffing with only a gallon or so of water coming in. I have never done it but have heard of people even doing their drive shaft stuffing box in the water. There is new Goretex stuffing that is virtually dripless even on drive shafts.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

My rudder post also leaks. I have tried to tighten it several times but it does not change the leak. For a while I thought it was something else like water coming throught a bolt or a cracked housing. But upon further observation, I think it is just the stuffing box. Another project for spring.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”