• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

cleaning dirty diesel

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

cleaning dirty diesel

Post by mjohnh »

I last filled my tank with diesel about 4 years ago. The boat has seen little use in the last 3 summers and the fuel likely has "growth".(the boat was very sluggish the one time it went out this summer) The marina recommends running the fuel through a filter (fuel polishing?). Has anyone done this? With what results? (I see little option other than this) I assume that the fuel filter(s) will need to be replaced. Where are they and is this difficult? (My marina doe very little work on diesel engine systems).
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: cleaning dirty diesel

Post by catalina_mike »

Here is a good article about how to do it. https://theboatgalley.com/diy-fuel-polishing/ I have a friend who has a commercial system because he is a lubricant salesman (Lubrication Engineers) for his customers. However there is more than likely someone who works around the marinas who has made one. Basally a set of filters and proper treatment to kill whats growing in the tank first. I keep LE Full Torque additive in mine and will never have any issues.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Great...thank you.....I will look for the additive.
Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rhode Island

Post by Plastikosmd »

I wonder if u can send off a sample to see if it is ok before you spend $?

I got a dozer as a gift once, it sat for 20+ years
Drove it out and ran it on the fuel in the tank without issue.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Changing fuel filters is easy, and it's a skill that you MUST learn as a diesel boat owner. And you must learn the signs that your engine will give you when the filters are getting plugged.
You should carry several spare filters aboard and any tools required to change them, Including a few ziplock bags to store the used ones if you have to change under way.
I'd run the boat and change the filters to see what they look like before I would blindly filter all the fuel. Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's bad.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Further to Jay's suggestions - upgrade your filter setup to multi stage or just add a bulk separator and then go boating. From that day forward you'll be polishing your fuel every day you use the boat.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

RobS wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:02 am Further to Jay's suggestions - upgrade your filter setup to multi stage or just add a bulk separator and then go boating. From that day forward you'll be polishing your fuel every day you use the boat.
Here is my multi stage filtration setup. Not perfect I know but for illustration only.
Large Racor on left is 30 micron.
Dual Racor is 10 micron.
Then it goes to the on engine filter which is 7 micron.
I also included a "typical" 10 micron filter that I just changed out. It does not get very dirty in one season and close to 100 hours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thanks to all of you...I will have the fuel tested and change the filters. Then, have the fuel polished if necessary. That multi-filter set up is interesting but way beyond my pay grade in skill.......not sure where it could be placed in my 28TE....your boats are longer and, I assume, more space in the holds, etc......but, the filters are likely bad and should be chsnged. I can do that and will........

Return to “Albin Maintenance”