• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 Yanmar 6lpa-stp Engine failure

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

skiffy24
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Yarmouth Maine

Albin 28 Yanmar 6lpa-stp Engine failure

Post by skiffy24 »

Hello
I have a 28 albin and recently had a valve failure requiring a new cylinder head/ This is not the problem that Yanmar's had in the past. I am finding the overhaul cost is very high compared to a new Yanmar or a Cummins. I also so a Albin with a 383 stroker Mercruiser gas engine. Not sure my plan forward just not confident in this yanmar now. Any comments on the Cummins or yanmar?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Albin 28 Yanmar 6lpa-stp Engine failure

Post by Tree »

Just rolled over 2000 hours in my 28 with the yanmar. Love the engine, even considering a bigger Albin with two of them in.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. Any comments on the Cummins or yanmar?
No comments on the Cummins, but have owned a Yanmar 6LP-STE Albin 28TE for 24 months:
My observations:
The Yanmar is good engine, but also a Swiss precision watch: It needs TLC and will not tolerance abuse.
I keep doing the factory recommended maintenance every day and it is a pain on the Albin: The sacrificial anodes are hidden and buried under and around the engine.
Going by the book you spend too much time and money buying expensive Yanmar Parts and pieces:
Wet elbow supposed to be replaced every 5 years..? :roll:
Timing belt every 5 years, or 1250 hours: This one I do, religiously and so did Previous Owner. Hug to him.
Yanmar belt tensioner, $283.00. Same part for a Toyota Land Cruiser Engine, $45 to $85..🙄

The 6LP Yanmar is also unforgiving to Over-Propping, but some folks seem to get away with it, until you read a post or a complaint about the engine blowing up..😧
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Have had my 6LP-STE for 16 years (approx. 1000 hours) it has never failed to start (within 1 second of the turn of the key!) and never faltered even under the most challenging sea conditions. Never more than standard maintenance has been required. Highly recommended.
Don.
skiffy24
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by skiffy24 »

Yes I am finding a bit more history on this boat. It had a Peninsula in it to start and was re-powered. It appears never changed the gear box or prop. So the possible strain over time on the tight precision may have caused this failure. Head and overhaul 70% cost of a new reconditioned engine so tough decision.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

skiffy, I assume your speaking of a 6LP. So it had the 1.5:1 gear, right? What rpm was she turning at WOT with the boat loaded for use?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

6LP-STE w/2200 hours and it is fine. Proper maintenance is not overbearing. Over the years have replaced timing belt, turbocharger, exhaust elbow (improper tightening probably caused turbo pbl.), raw water pump (twice-once as a precaution when that "overheating" alarm went off), lube oil and trans fluid annually, this year replaced all cooling water hoses, belt drive and can't recall anything else.
Don
skiffy24
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by skiffy24 »

The old gear was1:56 to . Only turned 3400 rpm , New one installed 2:0 to 1 to get 3800 rpm. Plus had a bad turn. So I am sure all of this has lead to this failure. Just need to decide rebuild or new if I can find a used head.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Not sure what you mean by "had a bad turn" but yes, she was overloaded from day one. Can't blame that one on Yanmar.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Over 3,400 hours on my Yanmar now.... like the rest, stay on top of maintenance and don't over prop it. Probably solid advice for any diesel. Good luck!

Anthony
1999 28' Albin Mad Money
skiffy24
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by skiffy24 »

Yes sorry Bad Turbo, Thanks for all the comments. Just need to decide on rebuilding this one or go new.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

So did the turbo just fail and engine ok? Or did the turbo failure cause other damage?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
skiffy24
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by skiffy24 »

Found the turbo failure and replaced it. There was lag when I bought it in 2017 and found a crack in it. Also at that time went through the engine new timing belt, gear box repropped, inspected fuel pump and injectors. So I was confident things were in good shape at that point. Not so much now. So that is my frustration due to the money I put in already. But it is a Boat as they say Brak out another thousand. hahaha
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

It's now BOATT. Inflation.
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)