• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Missing Coolant

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Missing Coolant

Post by Denis »

I went down to cover the boat today and to check the quality of the coolant in the engine. When I removed the radiator cap I was surprised to see no coolant at all in the tank. I check the level about every two weeks in the summer and I have never had to add coolant, it has always remained the same. The question is where could the coolant have gone considering I have not run the engine since I winterized it? It has never overheated, there is no change in the level or quality of the engine oil. I put a 50/50 mixture in the tank and it took about a quart to fill up the tank. Could the level have changed since the weather got cold? I would appreciate any suggestions. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Missing Coolant

Post by DougSea »

Denis wrote:I went down to cover the boat today and to check the quality of the coolant in the engine. When I removed the radiator cap I was surprised to see no coolant at all in the tank. I check the level about every two weeks in the summer and I have never had to add coolant, it has always remained the same. The question is where could the coolant have gone considering I have not run the engine since I winterized it? It has never overheated, there is no change in the level or quality of the engine oil. I put a 50/50 mixture in the tank and it took about a quart to fill up the tank. Could the level have changed since the weather got cold? I would appreciate any suggestions. Denis
Is the boat sitting at an angle (on the hard) that allowed the coolant to pool outside of the tank? Somewhere in the block? This is probably unlikely since I think you have the same engine as me and so your coolant tank is aft, and I'm assuming, at the lower end of the boat. All I could think of.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

The boat is at a slight angle but as you said that should help the situation. If there was a leak in the heat exchanger would that allow the coolant to drip out? Also if I put a pressure pump on in place of the radiator cap, I would assume that should hold five or six pounds of pressure pumped into it? It's a shame I have to wait until spring to do anything about this. I may pull the heat exchanger off and have it cleaned and tested anyway. Not much more I can do.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

The cold temperature probably just caused it to condense and settle lower in the system, out of view. See how much fluid it takes to top it off. I'd be willing to bet it's not very much.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Did you drain your raw water from the heat exchanger. If you did you could have opened the wrong drain and drained your collant as well.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Nope, I just ran anti freeze through, I didn't drain anything. I filled up the tank last weekend so I'll go back down this weekend to check on it. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

My Perkins 6-354 used to frustrate me. I'd fill the header tank up to the neck, check the level after 5 hrs or so running, engine cold, & find the coolant level down by 1/2" or so. I'd top it up again & again. Finally I just gave up topping up. It would drop to that level & stay there. Who knows what happened to the coolant. It was only maybe 12oz per top up. Now I just accept that the apparently a little low level is just where it wants to be. 7 years later, no change.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I swear it also happens to my single malt scotches. The Glenlivet 15 year French Oak Barrel, Glenfiddich 18 year, and the Balvenie, single barrel 15 year are all doing it too!
Global warming? :roll:
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I swear Im not drinking my coolant :lol:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Veebees,

What you're decribing sounds to me like you either don't have an overflow bottle, or the overflow is not flowing back into the system. When the system pressurizes, the coolant expands. This increases it's volume and the excess is expelled, either into an overflow bottle, or directly into the bilge. If your overflow bottle is working properly, as it cools again, it will get sucked back in. If not, or if you don't have one, as the coolant condenses, the extra volume in the system will simply be replaced with air that seeps in. This commonly results in the "constantly low" condition you described. However, rest assured, that, when running warm, the coolant expands to fill the entire system. Regular top-offs, however, are still a good idea.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Denis wrote:I swear Im not drinking my coolant :lol:
I however WILL be drinking my "anti-freeze"!

(Islay Single Malts are always nice...)
Doug
Sonny IV
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

What in the world is an Islay Single Malt? I hope I don't sound too stupid for asking that question. :oops:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

'Tis the "nectar of the gods"
http://www.bowmore.co.uk/News_item.aspx?NewsId=108

One of the very finast I here....but sad to say I've never had it......perhaps I'll take a ride this afternoon to the store....
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Scotch? Now we're not talking about coolant, we're talking about rocket fuel. That stuff is way too potent for me. :lol:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Denis wrote:Scotch? Now we're not talking about coolant, we're talking about rocket fuel. That stuff is way too potent for me. :lol:
Just to clarify - I DID say "Anti-freeze", not "coolant"! 8)

And my Grandfather (who was from Islay) would have told you it's Whisky, not Scotch. (If you leave out the "e" before the "y" you're spelling it properly.)

It's a bit of an acquired taste - but when you see the old lady at the distillery belt one down you know your manhood might be questioned if you can't at least sip one without gasping for air!! That and the fact that my wife is a big fan of the Islay Whiskys keeps me going.
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Albin Maintenance”