• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Commissioning the boat

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Baldwin, NY

Commissioning the boat

Post by dgetswet »

So I purchased my 1st Albin 28TE last fall and had the yard winterize it and change the oil. Now it's time to get her ready for hopefully a long beautiful boating season.

My question Is does anyone have a list they use to open the boat? As the winter was ending I started making a list of chores but being new to an inboard diesel and this size boat I'm sure I missed plenty.
I spoke with the old owner and the only tip he had for me was the zincs in the bow thruster and he bypassed the hot water heater for some reason. Said he never used it. Found that a little strange.

Anything is appreciated. I hope you all have a great safe boating season

Thanks
Don
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Commissioning the boat

Post by Carl »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2050&hilit=Spring+c ... oning+list

Lots of good info here, start at the beginning and I think your questions will be answered. If not, ask away!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

Carl wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:16 pm viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2050&hilit=Spring+c ... oning+list

Lots of good info here, start at the beginning and I think your questions will be answered. If not, ask away!
Thanks, there is a lot of good information on there for winterizing the boat. My problem is looking for a list to put her back in the water.

Thanks
Don
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

First, check your bank account...

I think a close read of the winterization list will remind you of all the stuff that was taken out of commission and needs to be brought back.

I would assume you have a good shore power battery charger, multi-stage, all that fancy stuff you big guys have, so your batts should be good. If they are FLA, of course check water levels, and then check all your cable connections, even(especially) the ground connection at the engine. Not always easy to do, but you should know where it is and give it a good look. At these low voltages, it doesn't take much to draw everything down.

Some folks get away with two or more years on their raw water impellers. Last year, hoping for similar luck, I didn't bother with it. The Starfleet commander was at the helm, I was rinsing the trailer. She was moseying around in circles in our little cove, when the newly installed audible high exhaust temp alarm sounded. She dutifully shut 'er down (without getting closer to our ramp...) and called me on the cell. I knew right away what it was, ten minute fix after fifteen minutes of rowing the dink. I have a BRAND NEW pump this year. We'll try it again, and I have spares at the ready.

Check all your fluids, simple normal stuff as far as the engine goes. Make sure anything taken apart to move anti-freeze was put back together and clamps tightened. Otherwise, depending on how much stuff you have for creature comforts, just follow your start up checklist, same as every time you go out. That way, you will not forget to open the seacock for the engine and other misc. important stuff.

You will love the diesel once you get the hang of it. I would highly suggest becoming familiar with the procedure for bleeding the system. We have the little three cylinder Volvo Penta. I knew nothing the first time she quit. Now I have spare washers, lift pumps, filters, rags, lots of rags, spare bleeder plugs, even installed an electric pump so I don't have to hand pump for twenty minutes. Point is, get know your boat. You'll be much more confident. Good luck!
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Regarding the hot water heater bypass. I do the same when winterizing, after draining the hot water tank, so that i don't need to add an additional 6 gallons of pink antifreeze to it as part of winterizing the fresh water system.

If you're looking to use the hot water heater, hook the cold inlet and hot outlet back up to the tank (they'll be connected together right now) and clean the tank out as part of the spring commissioning. You should be able to commission the fresh water system yourself with a hose and some bleach - not worth paying yards fees for that.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

jms02050 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:39 pm Regarding the hot water heater bypass. I do the same when winterizing, after draining the hot water tank, so that i don't need to add an additional 6 gallons of pink antifreeze to it as part of winterizing the fresh water system.

If you're looking to use the hot water heater, hook the cold inlet and hot outlet back up to the tank (they'll be connected together right now) and clean the tank out as part of the spring commissioning. You should be able to commission the fresh water system yourself with a hose and some bleach - not worth paying yards fees for that.
Thanks for the information. I went and looked at it today. It seems like the disconnected or cut hoses on the heater. I wasn't in the best position to get to it today but was very confused about what I saw.

Don
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

You should post pictures so we can see what you are seeing. It's the best to get any useful help, or in many cases the only way........
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
JBrooks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cedar Creek Marina, Old Hickory Lake, Mt. Juliet, TN

Post by JBrooks »

On my 30FC you can route the engine coolant to the water heater to heat the water when you are running. I shut mine off. The previous owner may be referring to that on his water heater.
JB
Floridays
2004 Albin 30FC
Perkins M265TI

Return to “Albin Maintenance”