• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bronze prop - paint?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Bronze prop - paint?

Post by jashmen »

Never owned an inboard before. Our prop, wheel, screw, whatever you prefer to call it is currently bare. Should I paint it or not?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Bronze prop - paint?

Post by WillieC »

It's all about the fouling...and galvanic corrosion. Here are some thoughts:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11517&p=75856&hilit ... int#p75856

There are plenty more opinions out there. But do pay attention to maintaining your anodes, "zincs" as they are often called. My twenty-five year old prop was also bare, but started de-zincing, where the alloy deteriorates showing tell-tale traces of pink slough. But, hey, 25 years isn't bad for a prop, I guess. What was more concerning was that the WillieC was previously always kept in the water, possibly since it was launched. Thus, zinc maintenance/replacement was done by divers at the various marinas. When we had a new trailer built, the first thing I noticed was that the latest zinc, proudly proclaimed by the PO, didn't fit the shaft, with loose bolts to boot! Ah, thank you very much. Trust but verify, then scream bloody murder!

We leave ours bare. The best comment in the link above was to use the boat, often and vigorously, for best results.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I paint mine. My work life balance is such that the boat often doesn’t get used for a few weeks. And it likes to grow stuff. I’ve used a few products and they have all helped. If you use it a lot then I would say don’t paint it
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Post by Mike Monte »

This past season I used Petit Prop coat
https://pettitpaint.com/products/underw ... e-barrier/
My prop was barnacle free at the end of last season in Narragansett Bay.

I will use again this spring.
M

Return to “Albin Maintenance”