• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seeking guidance - Starting battery for Lehman 4D61

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jon Fuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Long Point, CT

Seeking guidance - Starting battery for Lehman 4D61

Post by Jon Fuller »

Hello, Does anyone know what size battery should be used as the starting battery for my Lehman 4D61 in my FC 27? I can replace what came in the boat when I bought it but want to make sure I use the correct size. Thank you. Jon
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Seeking guidance - Starting battery for Lehman 4D61

Post by rebuckley »

Jon - I use the Sportster 8D - cranking amps 1375 - AH 245. It may be overkill, but has been great. Defender has a nice price - but since you are local to CT - check out Midstate Battery (Bloomfield I think) they are wholesale and come in cheaper than Defender. Midstate carrier many battery brands - so check them out no matter what you get.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Jon, The 8D is about the same size as your engine and it'll seem heavier. Any GROUP 27 size starting battery will work for that little guy. Sams Club sells a very good battery line made by East Penn, I think. My LD28 Nissan (inline 6 cyl diesel) had one as a start and another as a house (deep cycle) when I bought her 5 years ago, and they were 3 yrs old when I bought my 27FC. The 8D will be a good house batt. but you'll need a couple of young bucks to carry it in or use a come-along to lower it into the ER. I just installed 4 CG2's as my house bank and a Group 31 as my starter. The 31 is overkill but they were on sale. I'm still using one of my old 27"s as a separate batt for my new windlass. Ben
Jon Fuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Long Point, CT

Post by Jon Fuller »

Thank you.
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Post by boater_mike »

It may be overkill, but I did find 4D Farm/Marine DEKA brand batteries at the local Lowe's big box store for $150 each last year. Yes, they are a bit heavy and take up about as much room as (3) group 31 batteries. I will not have a problem running electronics all day while anchored, then starting up and heading home. I think each is about 110AH - though my memory is not so good.

Mike
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

I used a group 27 to start my old Perkins 6-354, and that was a BIG engine. I think a group 24 would be fine for anything that's liable to go in an A27.

As far as running accessories off the same battery as the engine, IMO that's asking for trouble. Sooner or later Murphy will get you.
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Post by boater_mike »

stmbtwle wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 pm
As far as running accessories off the same battery as the engine, IMO that's asking for trouble. Sooner or later Murphy will get you.
YES!! stmbtwle you are correct. After, re-reading my post, that's what it sounded like!! I DO have two batteries...they ARE switched - one for starting, one for accessories. What i was trying to convey was that I have PLENTY of Ah for whatever I need. And just to clarify, these batteries - though sold as farm equipment batteries - are actually the same DEKA model number battery (i cross-referenced) as their marine line of batteries. I assumed (though probably not a good thing), they're the same as the marine "version" which simply cost much more because of the word "Marine" added as a prefix. I've had them in exactly year without a problem.

-ML
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129

Return to “Albin Maintenance”