• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seacock for Salt Water Washdown

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Seacock for Salt Water Washdown

Post by RobS »

The freshwater system is winterized. I wanted to winterize the salt water wash down today but with the seacock in the closed position I’m still getting water flow from the hose faucet? I’ve known seacocks to get frozen from sitting but thought they would always work as long as they remained serviceable?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I just had a conversation with Ken at Standish Boat Yard about the seacocks on my boat. I noticed that they were getting pretty hard to move. Ken told me to be careful because if they get too stiff, the handle will move but the seacock will not close. That may be what you are seeing.

Ken told me to lubricate them in the fall after haulout and again in the spring. I spray WD-40 into the thru-hull (or strainer) while someone in the bilge works them open and closed. If they remain stiff, replacing them may be the safest bet.

One other thing that I do is leave them partially open all winter. I figure if any moisture were to settle in them it will drip out and it prevents them from taking a set in the open or closed position.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Obliviously everyone will ask if you got the right sea-cock. Assuming you did I would not try to disconnect the hose for testing while the boat is in the water. I have never seen the handle turn without the ball on the inside but anything is possible.
I did mine just yesterday,,, with boat out of water, disconnected hose from valve and stuck into jug and ran pump.
This was my first year in winterizing my 28 and everything worked out as planned except for the hatch scupper lines. I poured in the pink around the deck hatches and it slooowwlly came out the back. I had to get a shop vac to clean out those lines. Sand and dog hair seemed to block em up. I am thinking of ways to put a screen or something into them at the hatch side for next year, ideas ?

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I have seen many seacocks have the shaft break, causing the handle to turn while the ball stays stationary. It happens all the time.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”