• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lehman 4D61 Starter Solenoid

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kdidriksson
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Dunedin, Fl

Lehman 4D61 Starter Solenoid

Post by kdidriksson »

Hello, I have the Lehman 4D61 engine and just blew out the starter solenoid. The number on the solenoid is D11E161. Working with an alternator shop to get it repaired but they cannot find a suitable solenoid for the starter. Wondering if anyone here can direct me to a part that will work, or even a still manufactured starter that fits the engine.
Thanks,
Kris
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Lehman 4D61 Starter Solenoid

Post by jleonard »

Can you post a picture of what you have now?
I have a generic auto parts store solenoid switch for a spare. Like he ones you used to see on the fender well of an older Ford.
I'm thinking you might be able to use the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

I picked one up off Amazon, ($14) but as John said - any good autopart store will have the Solenoid.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V ... UTF8&psc=1
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Kdidriksson, first, welcome aboard!

I have no experience with your engine or starter, but I suspect you are talking about the mechanism attached to the starter that throws the gear into the big ring gear on the engine, assuming that is how your starter works. If this is the problem, you may be better off searching for a full replacement starter. Sorry if I misunderstood your issue.

"Solenoid" was one of the first mechanical ideas I picked up from my dad. Only he pronounced it "sellenoid". (SW Pennsylvania dialect, or just old school geezer talk? I often lapse into sellenoid.) I always knew it as the part I describe above. Years later, learning about 6 volt VWs, I was introduced to the idea of "starter relay" which is fairly common on almost every other vehicle made before or since. Then I became an electrician and learned what voltage drop actually is and how critical it is at 6 and 12 volts. Anyhoo, good luck. You'll get it sorted.

A simple google search, just using your number, led me to a bunch of Peugeot starters, Paris Rhone etc. You'll be running in no time.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”