• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

repacking stuffing box on a 32+2

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

bigdishdoctor
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Sebastian FL

repacking stuffing box on a 32+2

Post by bigdishdoctor »

Has anyone repacked the stuffing box on a 32+2? Looks like you would need to remove the deck support plate to even have a chance at getting access to the nut.
wpurhaw
Swabby
Swabby

Post by wpurhaw »

I would like any info on this as well. I had a technician at a St Pete boatyard re-pack while the hull was being painted but it soon began to leak again.
bobhhprop
Deckhand
Deckhand

repack

Post by bobhhprop »

After several hours of running the packing nut has to be retightened usually when the packing wears in.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Don't know if the 32+2 is different from mine. I have a 1996 'S' type which was the last 32 variant before the hull was extended under the platform.

I have replaced the cutless bearing & replaced the packing. Did the job myself. What you really need is a trained monkey, a breed that has a small body & very long arms with small hands to do the job. Basically it is a PIA job to do.

It is not just getting tools down into the inside of the keel. It is the getting ones body in a position to reach down to work the tools.

Time consuming. No fun at all. You will finish aching in body areas you never knew you had.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”