• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Exhaust flapper on a 36 DC

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Exhaust flapper on a 36 DC

Post by ppmeis »

There must be an internal flapper of some sort in the exhaust system. It has a very metallic sound to it. You can’t hear it at running speed but it is annoying at low idle. I imagine it’s a safeguard against critters getting into the system. Where and what is it? Can I dig it out, or wire it open? Or best to just live with it?
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Re: Exhaust flapper on a 36 DC

Post by cdsailor »

They are a little annoying at times, particularly when maneuvering in harbor - the clacking can be loud. I can investigate tomorrow when I'm back at Molly and snap a couple pics for you, if you like. Your boat must be on the hard too, yes? Good to see you on here posting. This place has been dead with regard to the 36 DC trawlers.
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

I’ve stuck my hand in the exhaust and looked with a light, can’t see anything. Sounds to be pretty far in, maybe close to the muffler. Thanks, pete
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

ppmeis wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm I’ve stuck my hand in the exhaust and looked with a light, can’t see anything. Sounds to be pretty far in, maybe close to the muffler. Thanks, pete
Hmm...I've never looked too closely, but I seem to recall seeing the flapper through the outlet opening, maybe 6"-10" inside the transom fitting.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

Looks like the flapper is about 10" inside the exhaust outlet. You'd have to access it behind the water tanks in the lazarette - if you have water tanks in that location. I think we'll live with the noise. ;)
IMG_6252.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”