• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36 shaft log

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Albin 36 shaft log

Post by cdsailor »

Any twin-engine Albin 36 (classic) trawler owners out there who have pulled their shaft log or replaced the cutless bearing therein?

Thanks,
David
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Albin 36 shaft log

Post by cdsailor »

Although I have yet to remove the bearing within the shaft log, I do have this bit of information:

There are two set screws - one at 3 and the other at 9 o'clock - on either side of the shaft log.

The bearing is 3" long, which is interesting because I have yet to find one that long for a 1.5" shaft and with a 2-3/8" OD. I suspect I may have to cut a bearing in half.

A couple images:
IMG_5860.JPG
IMG_5861.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Albin27softtop
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Blind Bay, Nova Scotia

Post by Albin27softtop »

I had to use a hack saw and make a cut in the bearing before pressing it out of the housing.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

Albin27softtop wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:56 am I had to use a hack saw and make a cut in the bearing before pressing it out of the housing.
Which housing, the shaft log? Or one of the external struts?
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

I'm wondering if it's even necessary to have a bearing within 18" of the coupling. Seems like an unnecessarily short distance to support, although I realize that the next support is the mid-shaft support, which is probably about 5' from the coupling. Somewhere I came across a chart indicating support spacing requirements for specific shaft diameters. I'll have to see if I can find that.

Edit: Found it. If I'm correct about the modulus of elasticity, it looks like a 1.5" shaft should have bearings every 7' or so.
Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 8.07.01 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

What is the shaft material? You need to know that to know what the modulus of elasticity is.
When I had my Mainship, I once considered removing the "mid shaft" bearing (pillow block) because the calculations showed it was not needed. As I was tightening the prop I did not like the feel of the shaft. It was flexing noticeably.
I removed the shaft and re-installed the bearing.
Hence I caution you here to double check before you launch.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

jleonard wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:38 am What is the shaft material? You need to know that to know what the modulus of elasticity is.
When I had my Mainship, I once considered removing the "mid shaft" bearing (pillow block) because the calculations showed it was not needed. As I was tightening the prop I did not like the feel of the shaft. It was flexing noticeably.
I removed the shaft and re-installed the bearing.
Hence I caution you here to double check before you launch.
Thanks for the response. I plan to replace all three bearings. I am not ready to alter the original design - I'm merely wondering.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I once had an engineering manager say "engineering is not an exact science". This is one of those cases.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”