• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hatch over Fwd berth/table

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hatch over Fwd berth/table

Post by Yearwood »

2001 Albin 28 PH with a star crack in forward hatch (Bowmar) needing repair replacement. Can clear portion only be replaced? Where can replacements be obtained???
Don
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Hatch over Fwd berth/table

Post by Pitou »

Here's a link to their parts catalog. http://www.pompanette.com/pomp.nsf/Mark ... ar_catalog

The part that you are looking for is not listed. The model number decal should be still on your hatch. Raise the hatch and from on deck you should find the decal on the trim ring. I'd call Pompanette / Bomar and see if they can help / 603.826.5791 . They've helped me with parts (gaskets, door bumpers, etc.) by phone before.

I have a recollection back in 1997 of a friend one time needing the same part that you do and he ended up needing to buy the whole hatch. Hope that I'm wrong and that he just didn't search out the manufacturer's available parts and just bit the bullet at the local chandlery.

Good luck!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:Here's a link to their parts catalog. http://www.pompanette.com/pomp.nsf/Mark ... ar_catalog

I have a recollection back in 1997 of a friend one time needing the same part that you do and he ended up needing to buy the whole hatch. Hope that I'm wrong and that he just didn't search out the manufacturer's available parts and just bit the bullet at the local chandlery.

Good luck!
Kev, You are 100% correct (well, no surprise there :wink: ) I also had a friend just call for the acrylic lens and was told it was not available, nor was just the complete lid assembly. All they would sell him was the entire hatch, no other way to get the lens from them. Next step is to call a local plastics shop, they should be able to replace the acrylic.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Old thread but same hatch:
I got a small leak in the Starboard Aft corner of the overhead hatch.
Finally dug into it today.
Did some very minor caulking on the outside seams but more suspicious of the gasket; It is intact, but lose and perhaps tired.
Looked at Google and Amazon, but no direct replacement using model or serial number. Instead I found gaskets sold by the foot , would rather have one for the exact hatch.
Looks like model number Bomar 1039 and the external hinges would make it A model, rather than P.
Will probably have to call Bowmar during a weekday.
A stamped number on the frame is 1039 U 03 01.
Another number on a sticker.
87675DA8-3D23-4116-88BB-F281146B15E9.jpeg
E418098F-859A-45B2-B1CA-3A36C3724F3B.jpeg
6C3351E4-15EE-46B8-A3B9-4FF5FA04B767.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I replaced my gasket - I’ll need to dig out the part number but I was able to find the exact replacement.

With regards to the window part - replace it with polycarbonate as acrylic can shatter. Ideally Lexan as the manufacturer as this brand is probably one of the best out there. We use it to replace the machine safety screens in our machining centres.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Norseman wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:53 pm Old thread but same hatch:
I got a small leak in the Starboard Aft corner of the overhead hatch.
Finally dug into it today.
Did some very minor caulking on the outside seams but more suspicious of the gasket; It is intact, but lose and perhaps tired.
Looked at Google and Amazon, but no direct replacement using model or serial number. Instead I found gaskets sold by the foot , would rather have one for the exact hatch.
Looks like model number Bomar 1039 and the external hinges would make it A model, rather than P.
Will probably have to call Bowmar during a weekday.
Bomar customer service will walk you through. I went through the same leak issue on my 28. Unfortunately, Bomar's solution was to sell me enough gasket (+) and let me make the cut. I put it in place to measure and cut it a bit long nipping a little a couple of times until a perfect tight fit. No more leaking.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Bomar customer service will walk you through. I went through the same leak issue on my 28. Unfortunately, Bomar's solution was to sell me enough gasket (+) and let me make the cut. I put it in place to measure and cut it a bit long nipping a little a couple of times until a perfect tight fit. No more leaking.
Yeah, facing the same surgery: A cut gasket, but should be ok if cut and glued at a good angle.
Did you take the hatch off to make it easy on the work bench, OR did you work half way up-side down with the hatch in place?

Upholstery around and below hatch is damp, some of the rain water leaked in there.
Leaving it open with the inside trim-ring off for a few days to dry out.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I had a similar situation, but got lucky with just a wet table and of course it all started while on a two week trip.

I did the work from below and as you suggest I cut the gasket on about a 30 degree angle and glued the ends together. The original gasket was cut straight and just butt ended. An angle cut can be more forgiving.

Patience and determination will resolve. Boats keep us busy ...
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Are you 100% sure it's the gasket and not the bedding of the hatch to the fiberglass deck? Have you watched the drips come through. My gasket never leaked but I had the wet ceiling liner as you mentioned. Removing the hatch and reinstalling it on weatherproof mounting tape fixed the leak. The cause was that Albin slightly overcut one of the corners in the opening which left very little sealing surface at that spot so there wasn't much adhesive sealant there and it eventually failed. Popping the hatch, cleaning the opening and reinstalling it on the mounting tape was an easy fix.

See my Jan 4th post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6013&hilit=tape
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I originally followed your guide Rob and although it did reduce the leak and like you say, Albin bedded these hatches on silicon and not neoprene tape.

When I had the hatch closed I could still see daylight through the lens seal so needed to replace that also.
Hi Lee

The hatch is N1039-10A. As it was made in 2000 and has a 6mm lens, the gasket is the P2000-09 low pro gasket.

RRP £5.79 ex vat per foot and you'll need 7 feet.

We do not hold stock - lead time is approx. 6 - 8 weeks.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Thx for the replies Gemtlemen.
I called Bomar/ Pompanette and got the part number for the hatch gasket:
(Sold by the foot, have to glue it together)
Part # P 2000-09
They said to use SuperGlue..
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

We replaced the entire hatch. The Commodore wanted a shiny one (polished stainless).
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

catalina_mike wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:02 am We replaced the entire hatch. The Commodore wanted a shiny one (polished stainless).
How much work was that?
Removal of old caulking..? Was it mounted with 5200? :shock:
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Norseman wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:04 am
catalina_mike wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:02 am We replaced the entire hatch. The Commodore wanted a shiny one (polished stainless).
How much work was that?
Removal of old caulking..? Was it mounted with 5200? :shock:
It was easy and no big deal. Putty knife after going around with a blade. Take your time and only pry at the end using a wood block so the gelcoat doesn't get muffed up. I heard there is a small leak this season so I need to recaulk the outside bead. I have been simply way too busy but will have more time in the near future. The commodore also got a shiny anchor. :D
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Albin Maintenance”