• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Faded hull has anyone used poli glow?? Transom Wrap anyone?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Merrick, NY

Faded hull has anyone used poli glow?? Transom Wrap anyone?

Post by LISal »

I am purchasing a 1998 28te with green hull. The hull is oxidizing and current owners gets her to shine with compound and wax he states he only gets a few months of shine after wax. I have used poli glow on my 1988 cris craft and had amazing results. If shine dissipates with a sponge and some more poli glow the shine is back in seconds not minutes. I also use this product in my cockpit as i am fisherman and sometimes my deck looks like a crime scene but with the poli glow everything comes off easy and no blood stains. The hull is white on my current vessel and was wondering if anyone had experience with this product on there colored Albin hull? I was also looking to wrap the transom with the teak and gold leaf look. Does anyone have a local guy the wraps. I am on Long Island. i also want to look into possibly wrapping whole boat, does anyone have experience with wrap on boats. I have seen a few cars done and its impressive but i wonder how resilient it would be to hold up to the abuse of the ocean and swinging weights and jigs smacking into the hull. Thank you for any info
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Faded hull has anyone used poli glow?? Transom Wrap anyone?

Post by LISal »

Has anyone used leprechaun majic it looks like this may be better than the poli doing some more research if anyone can share their experience it would be much appreciated
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

No, but once my supply of hull cleaner, compound and wax is used up, I am thinking about trying poliglow. How hard is really to use? Never heard of Leprechaun magic......... where can you find out about it?
Capt Brad
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LISal »

The Poli Is very easy to use. The cleaner you have to be careful with. You are not supposed to get cleaner on anything besides the fiberglass. It does streak a little if you apply with sponge or brush. I found a leather shammy to work best for me.. i used it on my old hull and was very impressed. I will try and put before and after up. I did wet sand to remove heavy oxidation in some rough areas. Then applied the poli instead of wax and it brought everything to a uniform shine for the most part. I had removed the decals which went from bow to stern on this cris craft sea hawk. When first removed the difference in color on a white hull was amazing. What looked white was actually yellowed a fair amount. I wet sanded till uniform or as close as i could get it without taking down the finish to much. You can wet sand down to fiberglass if to aggressive with 400 grade.. I don't think there is any substitute for wet sanding when you have a heavily oxidized hull. I use the least abrasive i can find. usually 800 or 1000 followed by some 1400. Then no compound no glaze or polish just poli. Its a lot easier than polish and wax.. I am not sure how i woulf feel about using product if there was no oxidation.. Once you have used this product there is no going back. It is like floor wax or varnish and i have noticed year after year it does have some build up. Nothing a quick hit with the 1400 doesn't fix but i do have to do some sanding each year. Its just easier than using the cleaner they supply. The poli glow system also has a cleaner for heavy oxidation i just use wet sanding. If you have never wet sanded your old boat you will be amazed at what happens...
This leprechaun magic looks very impressive for a quick fix. It does not appear you have to worry about getting on other surfaces. I do wonder how it holds up and what it is actually made off. I have not found more than a couple of videos on the net. The cost of the leprechaun magic is cheap enough 30 bucks or so. Worst case its 30 bucks goes down the drain..
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Saw this the other day
feldtenmarine.com
Haven't ordered any yet but with a dark hull I have it rubbed out and polished every season. This stuff is expensive but looks impressive...
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I used Poli-Glow on our 1997 28 TE. Had the Flag Blue hull (a little lighter than navy). I felt like it did a pretty good job. Since it sounds like you're familiar with it I'd say it's worth your time to try it. You WILL want to compound the hull first to get the oxidation off or, as poli-glow says in their instructions, you'll have shiny dirt (oxidation).
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Post by jetter »

I agree with Doug regarding the compounding. My 2001 28TE has a navy blue hull. Applied PolyGlow in the spring of 2018. Hull still looks good.
Russell
grege
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by grege »

This spring when I haul the boat to do the bottom was thinking about using Glidecoat nano-ceramic coating on the hull. It's relatively new. Saw a couple of boats that had really bad surfaces restored to a like new shine. It's "supposed" to last 2 years here in S Florida. It's relatively expensive. Just wondering if anyone has 1st hand knowledge of the product.
twomey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland, ME

Post by twomey »

I've been using Poli Glow on a 95 Black hull for several years. It actually looks better each year. The key is to make sure the fiberglass is clean and stain free. Doesn't have to be shiny, the Poli Glow will do that. Love the stuff.

Tim
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

Tim, Russ, and Doug,
Thanks for the info. I think once I use up my supplies this spring, I'll shift to Poli glow and give it a try. Sounds like once the hull is cleaned of Oxidation and dirt, it is easier the wax/buff and lasts longer. When I bought my boat, she came with a boatload of hull cleaner and wax. Too cheap to throw away. another late summer and fall with a faded hull won't hurt!
Capt Brad
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Used polyglow for a number of years (six) on a blue hull with good results. Wet sanded at the beginning, probably not enough. Reapplied each year w/o sanding and boat generally looked fine. Tried it on white cabin enclosure once and on white it seemed to me that it absorbed dirt. Eventually had hull repainted and that was a permanent solution (so far) with no waxing etc. It is covered to the waterline in winter.
Don
Osprey 2001 PH 28
Don
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jetter »

Here are pics of what hull looked like after ployglow and how its covered on the hard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russell
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LISal »

Jetter she looks good and i like the winter cover.. do you have an access door if you waned to get inside to do some work over the winter? I see other vessels with same cover.. did you buy it or is tat what your yard uses? we just shrink wrap but its a waste of material cant be re used. Poly glow to the rescue... I am waiting on this new product Leprichaun Magic. I am just waiting on it to show up and will post results.. i think wet sanding is the only way to remove oxidation but we will soon find out..
Thank you
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

I did not have luck with it. I followed the whole process using the cleaner first. It looked good for a short time and when it faded, you could see where it was applied like when you tear cellophane tape off a surface. I finally had Brewer paint the hull and it is holding up very well for the past few years.
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jetter »

Winter cover was custom made. About $2000 CDN. This is 8th winter with it. Couple of minor repairs in stitching. Others in club have got up to 15 years on this type of cover before it breaks down. There is a zipper door at transom. My investigation on polyglow indicates that it works best on dark hulls.
Russell

Return to “Albin Maintenance”