• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

White smoke from 6.2 L Peninsular Diesel

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

c_jobb@yahoo.com
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: schooner Cove BC

White smoke from 6.2 L Peninsular Diesel

Post by c_jobb@yahoo.com »

Hi... my name is Chris and I have a 1997, 31' TE Albin. It is powered with twin 340 HP 6.2 L Peninsular Diesel engines, both turbo charged. I have white smoke on startup and underload coming from my Stbd engine. The Port engine is fine. The fuel tanks are equalized.

I have tested all 8 fuel injectors and they are fine. I have done a compression test on all 8 cylinders and the pressures are all around 375 to 380 psi. I have replaced the fuel injector lines from the fuel pump. I have adjusted the timing of the fuel pump 3 times. I have checked the turbo charger (from the intake side) and it spins easily and looks good. I have adjusted the idle speed to 630 rpm.

Has anyone else experienced smoking from these engines and how was it resolved?

thanks

Chris
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: White smoke from 6.2 L Peninsular Diesel

Post by DougSea »

Hey Chris - I have nothing specific to add beyond suggesting talking to Unique Diesel who now own Peninsular. (www.uniquediesel.com)

It sounds like you've done a lot of diagnosis already so I'm sure you know that white smoke, especially under load, is either unburned fuel or coolant. Unburned fuel would point to an injector putting out way too much fuel. Coolant would point to gasket issues or worse. I recall reading about putting your hand in the exhaust stream (if you can) for about 20 seconds and then smelling the exhaust residue on your hand. You should be able to detect a strong diesel smell if an injector is the culprit. You can also press the tip of your tongue on your fingers and if you get a sweet taste that would be coolant.

Either way something is up and you'll want to get it resolved. Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Not that familiar with the 6.2 but the 6.5 has a reputation for failing head gaskets. I'd run a test on the coolant for hydrocarbons.
c_jobb@yahoo.com
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: schooner Cove BC

Post by c_jobb@yahoo.com »

thanks to all who have replied.... I replaced the fuel injectors and it runs well now. Not sure if the injectors were the cause or the effect.... I pulled them a few months earlier and they all looked fine.... the second time around .... looked bad.... anyway the boat runs well now... so I will go with that. Cheers

Chris

Return to “Albin Maintenance”