• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ball park cost to replace Yanmar engine 28 TE?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

okaycoral
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Sausalito

Ball park cost to replace Yanmar engine 28 TE?

Post by okaycoral »

Does anyone have a ball park for this worst case scenario? My partner is looking at purchasing a 28 TE with 1300+ hours and a history of not so great maintenance. Looking through the file he saw an engine repair invoice from 2009 for $19,000!! There was a lot of internal corrosion.

He thinks maybe $40K? Is that way too low? It would be a big blow to have to come up with that kind of $$ as an unplanned expense.

Marie
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Ball park cost to replace Yanmar engine 28 TE?

Post by Tree »

Is the engine running? Does it reach full WOT? Oil analysis? Exhaust gas temps? Burning oil? Making oil?

If they all check out - go play!

I’m just about to hit 2000 hours. I’ve had one or two problems with the engine but nothing major. I’ve got a massive folder of receipts from the previous owner which included almost $13k of engine repairs. That was 7 years ago and 5000 odd miles away.

I’ve no concerns with my engine - I expect to see 4-5000 hours from it so long as I don’t change boats by then.

These yanmar engines despite all the negativity you will read up on bhp per litre will go on for a long time so long as maintenance is done and done right.

If everything checks out now - look after it and it will look after you.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Contact Mack Boring, the company that is a leader in repowering. Mine was repowered from Peninsula to Yanmar but two years before I bought it. My guess is that it would be less than $40k.
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Post by Dudley »

My 1994 Albin TE28 came with the Peninsular. It got to the point that it was very hard to start. Journey's end Marina replaced it with a Yanmar 6LPA-STP but the put it in with the engine reversed. It took 10 years to finally get the shaft aligned. The engine cranks instantly even when it is below 32 degrees. I think it cost $35,000.00. My top speed went from 17 knots to 27 knots. It still gets 2 miles to the gallon above 15 mph. At 6 knots it gets 6 mpg.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

While I have had no major issues with my engine (Yanmar 6PLA), the local dealer told me to look after it because the cost of a new engine in his shop was $Can 30K plus $10K for the install. Since that is $Can, it is worth about $US 30K installed, but you would have to come up here.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I have seent them used on eBay for $15K or best offer, and overhauled, also on eBay for $24k.

The 300 HP and the 315 HP are the same engine, just rated at a different temperature, an EPA requirement or some such thing.
If somebody is getting 27 knots with the Yanmar I suspect severely over propped and running at full throttle rather than cruise RPM.
I only get 20.5 knots at full bore with a clean bottom and correct size and pitch prop, 2 folks and half tank.
Empty boat, low fuel, no tools, no spares, no anchor/chain etc, I may get a bit more in flat water, but never been that light.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Have about 2100 on 6LPSTE over 18 years, well maintained and no great problems with engine.
Don
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I would estimate $30-35000. There maybe hidden costs such as tranny, shaft, prop etc. My Albin had the trans plant in 2009 for $25000.00. A reputable yard would love to do the work over the winter to keep their troops busy and you wouldn't have to worry about winterization costs. I get just under 30 mph. 20.5 knots seems a little low.

Enjoy
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm ... and you wouldn't have to worry about winterization costs.
Good point Max, dropping $30-$35,000 is way less painful when you don't need to buy that case of antifreeze!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. I get just under 30 mph. 20.5 knots seems a little low.
At what RPM do you get just under 30 mph? (26 knots?)
I get 20.5 knots at 4050 RPM, an indication I may be slightly “underpropped”.
I have a spare prop that is tweaked very slightly: The max RPM while running should be 3950 RPM if I remember the Yanmar manual correctly and will try this other prop for comparison some day.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Norseman wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:28 pm
. I get just under 30 mph. 20.5 knots seems a little low.
At what RPM do you get just under 30 mph? (26 knots?)
I get 20.5 knots at 4050 RPM, an indication I may be slightly “underpropped”.
I have a spare prop that is tweaked very slightly: The max RPM while running should be 3950 RPM if I remember the Yanmar manual correctly and will try this other prop for comparison some day.

If I recall Max is running a 1.5:1 ratio gear box. Whereas you and I will almost certainly have a 2.03:1 box. I’ve played around with modern propellers and can achieve 24 knots - I did have just shy of 25 during the summer with a clean hull and light fuel with just myself aboard. I will be making a few adjustments next season as I am around 75rpm off WOT with this setup now I’ve confirmed it with a laser tach. I actually think with the adjustments I may see slightly better performance.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Rob is correct. However, my point being if the yard replaces the engine, total winterization costs will be reduced. However, if you wait till the spring. the cost will be the same on the re-power, if not more and will they have the time. In regard to my speed, I can hit 25 knots plus at 3675 (flat out) with my 315. I also purchased an Acme prop, which was t tuned to my engine. I had the prop adjusted three times on the pitch to achieve the best performance.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. In regard to my speed, I can hit 25 knots plus at 3675 (flat out) with my 315.
Flat Out is full throttle?
If so you are probably over-propped and could get in trouble, or rather your Yanmar could self-destruct.
We may have a different engine, but my 6LP-STE needs to turn 3950-4000 at full throttle, anything less is overloading the engine.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I made an error. My RPM's are 3775 not 3675. As per my spec sheet from Yanmar, the operating range for the 315 is 3800. See attached. Perhaps the salt water in Florida is less dense than the salt water up here on Long Island.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Serenity wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:03 am I made an error. My RPM's are 3775 not 3675. As per my spec sheet from Yanmar, the operating range for the 315 is 3800. See attached. Perhaps the salt water in Florida is less dense than the salt water up here on Long Island.
Again, we may have different models of the big Y, but my understanding is that you should be able to run 4000 RPM at wide open throttle. 3800 RPM is where max HP Power is and 3600 RPM is max continuous.
If you are not able to get 3950 RPM or more, running flat out, it is an indication of being over-propped, which is damaging to the engine.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”