• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin-25 Windshield Wiper Parts ?

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Albin-25 Windshield Wiper Parts ?

Post by NickScheuer »

Can anyone suggest a source for a wiper arm and blade for an Albin-25?
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Albin-25 Windshield Wiper Parts ?

Post by kerrye »

Hmmm? I can look and see if I can find the info. I replaced blades, arms and motors on mine when refurbishing.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Much appreciated, kerrye!. Our Albin-the DuNORD came to us with only the starboard (helm) wiper working. The port motor is OK, but has no wiper arm nor blade. This kit would get us a spare motor for what seems a lot less expense than "genuine Albin" equipment.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Yes, that is the kit I would probably use if I were to replace my recently failed port wiper. Then I found a manual wiper in Sidney on our recent trip. I figure when the power source for THIS wiper craps out, it will be time to sell.

What failed in the electric motor was a plastic gear. The older, probably original wiper motor, is still working in the helm position. Don't know if it uses plastic gears or not.

Here is a link to the manual wiper:

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-412601-1-Man ... B002IV4KFA

I would really like to go for better coverage on the windshield, ideally pantographics, or maybe a third wiper in the middle. But I'm cheap. What I should really do is pick happier water. Ha!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I would have gone for a manual wiper had I known they existed
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

We got to see a number of A25s at the Ladysmith rendezvous. One had a manual wiper, otherwise I would not have known to even look for one. It cost almost as much as the electric, but it was available and at CDN exchange rate! WOOHOO!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I wonder if port side wiper was an option on early models & standard equipment on later "DeLuxe" years? Our 1971 only has a wiper in front of the helm. Not on my priority list to add a second wiper since the one we have doesn't get used that much, rarely being out on rainy days or rough enough conditions to take spray over the bow. Most of those instances have been up in the Northwest.

WillieC says,
We got to see a number of A25s at the Ladysmith rendezvous.
Here are some of those, including some WillieC took.
20180721_102616.jpg
20180721_102413.jpg
20180721_102423.jpg
DSCN4256 (1280x960).jpg
DSCN4258 (1280x960).jpg
IMG_2013.JPG
DSCN4525 (1280x960).jpg
DSCN4432 (1280x960).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

It was likely an option. My boat, also 1971, likewise did not have a port wiper. I added one to better see all the logs that float in the water around here.

Its not always the gears that are the problem on these wipers. Some times the front plate comes loose and the cam follower slips out of the groove in the large cog. The result is similar to a stripped gear in that the motor continues to run but the wiper does not move. The solution is to remove the arm and motor, remove the front cover plate, re-insert the cam follower and re-assemble everything.

I now have a spare motor only having discovered this after I bought a new one! Ongaro is the stock replacement unit but SeaDog works too.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

I really like the enclosure on the boat in the third picture! Love the sliding doors! Was this a option or a custom built unit?
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Dieselram94 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 pm I really like the enclosure on the boat in the third picture! Love the sliding doors! Was this a option or a custom built unit?
I think you are talking about Alanje? There is a forward sliding door on each side and two sliding doors on the back on a slope. Also above the helm seat is a pretty good sliding to port hatch. It had some good ideas but over all it felt a bit confining. Maybe more window and less wall would be better.
IMG_1302.JPG
Oh yeah, custom, built by the original owner of the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I've had that issue with plate on the motor coming loose & the cam follower jumping out groove same as dkirsop. Was a fairly easy fix, pull the plate off, set the follower back in the groove & reassemble & tighten screws after adding a bit of grease lube.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

ssrig wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 pm
Dieselram94 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 pm I really like the enclosure on the boat in the third picture! Love the sliding doors! Was this a option or a custom built unit?
I think you are talking about Alanje? There is a forward sliding door on each side and two sliding doors on the back on a slope. Also above the helm seat is a pretty good sliding to port hatch. It had some good ideas but over all it felt a bit confining. Maybe more window and less wall would be better.

IMG_1302.JPG

Oh yeah, custom, built by the original owner of the boat.
Yes that boat. I can see where it would feel confining. I just really like the sliding doors on the side.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”