• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Interesting concept; a dedicated DC Generator

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Interesting concept; a dedicated DC Generator

Post by Mariner »

I came across this when looking for small diesel genertators:

http://www.polarpowerinc.com/products/g ... t_lomb.htm

The concept is simple, rather than large extra battery banks that can only be efficiently charged by plugging into shorepower or running the genset for hours on end, install a very smal diesel motor with a DC generator. it's power on demand whenever you need it. Emergency power to charge the batteries quickly in the event you leave the cockpit lights on overnight and forgot to isolate your engine battery; an efficient way to run the inverter; etc...

I'm not about to toss out our extra battery bank and buy one, but it's an interesting concept. Looks like it would take up less space than our current bank of four golf-cart batteris, and provide more power.

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

A very cool thought! With the smaller size of the diesel engines being produced today it opens up a very interesting concept. You could pipe fuel right from the on board fuel tank and eliminate the gas situation. I think if you have an inverter large enough, you could run the micro, hair dryers etc. The only thing missing is the hot water heater and the AC if you have one. What is the price of the unit shown?
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great!

Post by RicM »

OK boys & girls, remember our history? Edison originally designed our system to be Dc as it was more effcient. The utilities choose Ac as it was easier to transmit over long distances. Today, 80% of our appliances run on Dc, think about all those "wall warts" that you have everywhere. One thing that boating has taught me is that you really are able to live "off the grid" very easily with a windmill, solar panel, and a few big ass batteries in the basement.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

DC is more efficient to transmit short distances and can be stored. AC is more efficient to transmit over long distances, but it cannot be stored (unless converted to some other form of energy).

A diesel generator is the only way to go on a diesel boat, IMO. Preferably an enclosed, lazarette mounted, water cooled one. But I don't know if the 28' has room for that. We have a nice little Lugger 5kw in ours and I love having it. Don't use it much, but it's really nice to have. I'm not a convert on electronic stoves though. I still prefer propane. While our generator is pretty quiet when you put a string around the flapper on the exhaust, it's still noise enough that I don't want to run it while trying to enjoy dinner. And instant heat means I get dinner sooner.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

As an option by Albin, my 28 was built with a 4.2 kw Entec Marine Diesel generator with sound enclosure that brings noise reduction to 63 Dba. It is installed in the bilge between the Helm and Companion seats. A great little unit that easily runs all AC systems onboard and burns .3 gph while under load. The model is the EW-4200. Fresh water cooled and sea water for the exhaust.
http://entecwest.com/products.htm
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

13" wide, 20" long, 18.5" high
Man, that thing is TINY. Cool though. Ours is easily twice that size.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”