• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 solo locking

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A25 solo locking

Post by kerrye »

If you can stand at the helm and get your body out of the helm roof, you could probably lock thru easily from that position. It wasn't possible for me because we were carrying our Kaboat on the helm roof. If I had to lock thru solo I probably would have dropped the Kaboat in the water, towed it, opened the helm hatch and worked from there.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I guess if you had a long enough boat hook handy?
Screen shot1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

What about standing at the helm and hooking through the open top? Might not holding the cable/rope from that location be sufficient?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Yes. There is sometime a problem with some kinds of boat hooks which have a forward protrusion from the hook. This can be too long and stops the hook from going behind the fixed cables. This means the pole has to be angled up or down to reduce the length of that protrusion behind the cable and allowing the hook to catch. This can be a real PIA in some circumstances. So a boat hook with minimal protrusion past the hook is the best option.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

No one mentions life jackets. (Mea culpa!) You really don't want to be thrashing around in a lock pound when water is coming in or going out, without one. Or, come to think of it, trying to separate two converging hulls when you are at the waterline. Recommend non-inflatables.
As a Thames lock-keeper for 2 glorious summers (Boveney) the SOP for person-in-the-pound was (IS) to toss a flotation device / line and get the sluices shut PDQ. Undertows in locks are vicious
Boveney Lock, near Windsor, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boveney_Lock pix show lock pound and the unique small boat slide (The remnant of a 17th - 19th century flash lock - great fun in kayak.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Amen on PFD’s. We always had ours on in a lock. As an aside do people know that lock masters on the Erie earn $100k+
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I certainly wasn't making that :-( in the 60s. But then, neither was Eric Clapton ;-)
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”