• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Volvo Penta MD3B Rebuild - Parts Needed

Albin's "power cruisers"
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Volvo Penta MD3B Rebuild - Parts Needed

Post by stxray »

Hi Guys,
I'm in the process of rebuilding my MD3B engine. I have most of the parts sourced but need some help finding a Cylinder Head (833153) and the Oil Pump (807476).
If anyone has one or both, or knows where I can snag one, I'd sure love to hear from you.
Thanks,
rs
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Re: Volvo Penta MD3B Rebuild - Parts Needed

Post by boater_mike »

Hey RS,

I had an old Volvo engine (about 10 years ago) i used to buy parts from this place:

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/onelist.php?ID=314

They (Volvo) are ALWAYS pricey no matter where they come from, but they would probably have what you need or know where to get it.

Good Luck!

Mike
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Don't know how relevant this is, maybe not at all, but there is a Volvo Penta MD2B (?) on Craigslist for $700.00. It looks a bit "parts' but it might be useful - don't know Volvos.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 45874.html
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

boater_mike wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:53 pm Hey RS,

I had an old Volvo engine (about 10 years ago) i used to buy parts from this place:

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/onelist.php?ID=314

They (Volvo) are ALWAYS pricey no matter where they come from, but they would probably have what you need or know where to get it.

Good Luck!

Mike
Thanks Mike!
I reached out to them so, we'll see if they can help.
I was able to source the Head I needed so, now it's just the pump I need.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

DCatSea wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 pm Don't know how relevant this is, maybe not at all, but there is a Volvo Penta MD2B (?) on Craigslist for $700.00. It looks a bit "parts' but it might be useful - don't know Volvos.

Thanks DCatSea,
I did see that and exchanged emails with the guy. I'm hesitant to buy an entire engine rather than just the part I need. My thought is, if someone has the part already de-installed, I get to check it out to make sure its usable. To buy a whole engine could be buying a pig-in-a-poke only to find the parts are no better than what I have.
Your thoughts?
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

stxray wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:10 am
DCatSea wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 pm Don't know how relevant this is, maybe not at all, but there is a Volvo Penta MD2B (?) on Craigslist for $700.00. It looks a bit "parts' but it might be useful - don't know Volvos.

Thanks DCatSea,
I did see that and exchanged emails with the guy. I'm hesitant to buy an entire engine rather than just the part I need. My thought is, if someone has the part already de-installed, I get to check it out to make sure its usable. To buy a whole engine could be buying a pig-in-a-poke only to find the parts are no better than what I have.
Your thoughts?
Well, I reached out to the seller again and we were able to make a deal. I now own two engines and the Admiral is simply thrilled. As long as I keep my stuff out of her side of the garage, I should be okay.

When I picked it up, the guy had a chain hoist. Man, did that make it easy to load. No so on my end. After much sweating and cursing, I managed to get it out of the U-Haul trailer and on a dolly. Now the fun begins.

I need one of the heads and the oil pump. I'm thinking I'll keep the starter, alternator, injectors, and tranny as spares. The rest, I'll part-out. So if anyone needs parts for an MD1B, MD2B, or Md3B, ring me up.

When I picked up the engine, the guy started it and I was impressed at how fast it started and how little smoke there was. Now I'm wonder if it might not be better to forget about rebuilding the MD3B and just drop this MD2B in instead. The MD3B has 36hp while the MD2B has 24. Anyone out there running their Deluxe with around that amount of power? I'd be curious how often you wish you had more power? Thoughts & suggestions appreciated.
rs
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Even if 24 hp was acceptable, would you be happy with the vibration of a 2 cylinder engine? A 3 cylinder is pretty smooth by comparison

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

36hp. No less.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I have a Vetus (Mitsubishi) 3 cylinder M3.09 - 25hp - in my '77 deLuxe. Wish it was 36 hp... or more, for that matter, but it came with the boat.

The good news is that it weighs a full 369 lbs less than the original Volvo 36hp. Boatdiesel.com speed calculators have its performance less than one knot difference at cruise and WOT.

Waiting on my new prop shaft before I can try it and see for myself though.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Yeah, free is good. Offset the weight with a truckload of batteries, or holding tank, or whatever the weak spot of the boat is. Anchor chain?
uptank001
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Wilmington, DE, (trailer)

Post by uptank001 »

Morning, looking to get my Albin 25 back in the water soon. Owned for 15 years, dreaming of going down the ICW, Wilmington DE to south Florida. Got as far as Kent Island!
I have deep rust in the thermostat housing and manifold thinking I should look for Spares.
Saw your post and think we are close, I also spend time in Avalon.
Would you have excess spares?
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

uptank001 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:59 am Morning, looking to get my Albin 25 back in the water soon. Owned for 15 years, dreaming of going down the ICW, Wilmington DE to south Florida. Got as far as Kent Island!
I have deep rust in the thermostat housing and manifold thinking I should look for Spares.
Saw your post and think we are close, I also spend time in Avalon.
Would you have excess spares?
I too am chasing the dream. Tried last year and got as far as Deltaville when overheating caused my MD3B to seize. I've pulled the engine and I'm having it rebuilt. I pulled one head and the oil pump and got a thumbs-up on useability from the mechanic. I do plan on pulling additional items to create a "Spares" inventory. Obviously, anything not useable/transferable to the MD3B are of no use to me. So yes, I have "excess spares".
I'm assuming you have the same engine. If so, what parts are you specifically looking for?
Given how close we are, I'd be very interested in meeting and comparing notes.
I sent you a PM to see how we might better work together. Let's Talk.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Morning, looking to get my Albin 25 back in the water soon. Owned for 15 years, dreaming of going down the ICW, Wilmington DE to south Florida. Got as far as Kent Island![/quote]

Do it! Life is short!

How about drive down to Blades, DE, put boat in Nanticoke River at the Blades marina, then run downriver to the Bay? Nice time of year to do that since we're heading into fall. Truck/trailer storage is available in fenced lot across the road from the Blades marina. Storage lot is not free, but cost is reasonable.
nanticokeMarineramp.JPG
bladesmarinastorage.jpg
DSCN2837.JPG
DSCN2845.JPG
baycrossing screen shot.jpg
Say hi to the folks at Nanticoke River Yacht Club, where my late stepdad was made honorary commodore before he passed away in 2011.
IMG_0144.JPG
0619152015crop.jpg
DSCN2834.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”