• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for Helm seat and Vent over transom

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Looking for Helm seat and Vent over transom

Post by tribologist »

Hi,

I picked up a Albin 25 last week and have started to get her ready for the water. Mostly getting the trailer up to standards. The boat is only needing some cleanup and going through things for now. The PO have replaced the bench seat with a single seat but I would like to replace that with a bench seat. Any chance someone has a seat they could consider parting with or suggest some other seats that could serve well?

The other piece missing is one of the white plastic vents over the transom. I think it is connected to the engine compartment. I have not had a chance to look closer at it. Are they available anywhere? Any suggestion for a good replacement?

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Looking for Helm seat and Vent over transom

Post by hetek »

Here are the vents. They're still available from Albin Motors (Marin?) in Sweden.

http://mmd.nu/shop233/catalog/product_i ... 1738958d83

230 SEK = $25.21 USD, each.

I just bought two for my boat. They arrived in NY in less time it takes to get stuff from California!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Stefan is the MAN!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

That is so neat! 48 year old boat and still getting parts.

Thanks for the link! How much did they charge for shipping? My mother is probably coming over later this fall so I might have her drag them over the Atlantic.

Is anything hooked up to those vents on the inside? I have not removed the rear liner but I cant see anything going from that location.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The stringers on which the engine sits are also the combustion air intake ducts. Combustion air comes into the engine box from the two aft vents via the engine stringers. If you look closely beneath the engine towards the front engine mounts you will see the opening in the side of the stringer. It is a totally dedicated system that prevents fumes from escaping into the cabin as all incoming combustion air is expelled through the exhaust. If you remove the rear liner you will see the stringers have been extended up the transom to the vent intakes. If you are installing anything that involves drilling through the transom make sure you avoid the air ducts!
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yet another difference in the Albin 25s... my 1973 Super DeLuxe Mark II edition (No. 1585) has the engine venting exposed on TOP of the stringers near the Back of the engine. These are rough cut rectangular openings. However, I have seen a round hole in the side of one of the stringers, farther forward, maybe inch and a half (38mm, maybe 39) that appears to have been plugged. Vestigial vents?? The Missing Link? Bigfoot?

That Giant Sucking Sound that Ross Perot heard was dkirsop drilling his air vents!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Thanks!! The previous owner have covered one of the holes with tape (the “seen on TV” stuff). Might do something temporary until i get new vents then. Better go and check how they are ending in engine bay too. Would it make sense to add a fan/blower aiming at one of the holes to increase flow and keep temperature down?

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Thanks!! The previous owner have covered one of the holes with tape (the “seen on TV” stuff). Might do something temporary until i get new vents then...
I covered my broken vent with shrink wrap tape. Never thought of the "As seen on TV stuff". :)
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Shipping was a little over $38 USD for a 3kg package. I did order two vents, along with a metric stuffing box hose and a cutlass bearing.

My total order was $158 USD before shipping.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Thanks! I will give them a call.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

No need for a fan, at least here in the Pacific Northwest. Number one, it's electric and uses precious electrons, and two, it's electrical, around saltwater. That's it.

And, three, it makes yet more noise. That's all.

And, four, even on these hot August nights and days, the engine keeps the boat warm over night when the fog and damp sets in.

Finally, the original design is simple using no moving parts, if you don't count the engine. I hope you plastic wrappers are not running the engine with the rear deck vents sealed tight and the engine cover in place. The resultant vacuum could implode the hull. Or worse.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I was thinking having it run when engine is running. Im planning to install a temp sensor in there to see how hot it gets. The flow is pretty substantial when thinking about it... forgot diesels run 100 % air flow all the time. At 2000 rpm it pulls 70 cfm... a bilge blower is pushing 150 cfm free flow so it would probably not help at all trying to blow out in one duct and suck 2-3 times the flow in the other duct.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

No running with a restrictive intake here. Just keeping the rain out while my boat is "in progress".

Seriously, I have heard of stories of a boat with a diesel repower just not getting up to speed on a test run. After some head scratching, someone decided to open the engine hatches. Two things happened - they heard a loud "Swoosh" and the boat took off like a bat out of hell!

The engines were starving for air so much the hatch covers were actually suctioned down. Once they were able to breath freely they let the horses loose.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”