• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Nissan LD28 Raw water pump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

trawling
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: nashville tn

Nissan LD28 Raw water pump

Post by trawling »

Does anyone have any info on a replacement raw water pump for the Nissan LD28 diesel engine.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Re: Nissan LD28 Raw water pump

Post by tego »

My LD28 raw water pump is a Jabsco 18840-0010. The impeller is Jabsco part #1210-0001. They are available from Jabsco or depcopumps.com. Ben
Hobbit
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Harbor, WA USA

Post by Hobbit »

Sorry I just read your post and may be too late to help. I just replaced the water pump on my LD28. I used a Sherwood G7B. 299$ on ebay. I also used a Sawsall and cut the cast iron ring off the mount which made the install much easier.
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

Trawling Swabby, would love to hear an update on your water pump. I have a 1987 LD28 and the water pump needs to be replaced. I looked at the Jabsco 18840-0010 that Tego mentioned and the Sherwood G7B that Hobbit purchased, but they look very different from the pump I have.

Tego & Hobbit, was it much of a project replacing the water pump? My engine started overheating late summer, replaced the impeller even though it looked fine, but the engine still ran hot. My guess is either the water pump needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

John
M/V Nirvana
1987 Albin FC
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

John, How is the waterflow thru your engine (out the exhaust)? If you have plenty of water coming out the exhaust, it is something else besides your raw water pump. Probably the heat exchanger needs cleaning, the thermostat is closed, the engine coolant pump is failing (rare), or something else. Based on your description, I'd check the raw water thru-hull screen on the outside of the hull, the raw water strainer screen, and the impeller (which you've already done). Check the thru-hull grid by closing the thru-hull, disconnecting the hose, and then open the thru-hull. If you don't have a geyser coming out, you've found a problem. You can clean it somewhat by covering the hose barb with your hand, sticking a stiff wire down between your fingers through the valve, and poke thru the screen outside the hull a lotta times until you get a good geyser. I've had to do this several times when cruising. I've found large barnacles, plastic and a small crab that evidently grew inside the thru-hull screen. Keep us posted. Ben
yakka
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ketchikan Alaska

Post by yakka »

While cleaning up my recent purchase of a 27 FC I found a box labelled "completely re built raw water pump" for Nissan LD 28 M. Its 8 pm now but in the morning I will pull it out and check.
Hobbit
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hobbit »

JFOkie wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 pm Trawling Swabby, would love to hear an update on your water pump. I have a 1987 LD28 and the water pump needs to be replaced. I looked at the Jabsco 18840-0010 that Tego mentioned and the Sherwood G7B that Hobbit purchased, but they look very different from the pump I have.

Tego & Hobbit, was it much of a project replacing the water pump? My engine started overheating late summer, replaced the impeller even though it looked fine, but the engine still ran hot. My guess is either the water pump needs to be replaced.

John,

There was a learning curve. I have changed the V belts on my Alternator twice this year and the belt has to come off the water pump. I am getting pretty good at it.

If you have not yet tackled your job and would like to hear my observations send me a PM. I get email notifications if I get a PM but sometimes I go months without reading the forum.

The new design of the Sherwood pump made the whole operation MUCH easier.

Mike
Hobbit
A27-Nissan LD28
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey mooring

Post by EZC »

Hobbit, I'm replacing a water pump on my 27'SC that has the LD28 and a Sherwood G7B. The Sherwood is an exact replacement but there just isn't any room with the stringer and bulkhead. I noticed you cut the cast iron ring. That is what is getting in the way as well. It looks like the back of the mount extends down to the motor mount, did you cut it where it starts to wrap back to where it does a u back to the engine. I'm a little hesitant to cut before I hear how you did it. I tried taking the pump apart and try installing it in two steps but it still didn't fit. By the way to get the old one out I took it apart and somehow wrestled it out but I couldn't get the new one in that way.
Hobbit
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hobbit »

EZC,

This editor confounds me. Send me your email in a private message and I will send you a .doc file with pictures and instructions.

I need a simple cut and paste.

This offer is available to anyone else that wants this information also.

Hobbit
Hoodsport, WA
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey mooring

Post by EZC »

Hobbit, Thanks for the reply. I actually cut it yesterday and finished installing it today. Without a doubt cutting the cast iron ring was the only way to install the water pump. Really glad I saw your post. Thanks
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JFOkie »

Well, I replaced my thermostat before I launched and it's still running hot.

Tomorrow I'm going to remove and inspect the heat exchanger. My guess is that it's in need of cleaning.....

John
M/V Nirvana
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

You could try back flushing the raw water side of the system with a garden hose.

Remove the water line connecting to your mixing elbow on top of the manifold, remove discharge hose from the raw water pump ((if possible; place a 5 gallon bucket under this hose or use another piece of hose to direct it into a bucket, this way you can see what came out in your back flush)) Place garden hose into the hose you removed from the mixing elbow and "let her rip" apply water pressure. Watch for sludge and crud in your bucket.

Its an easy way to get the whole system with out removing components but if you do not like what you see, removing the heat exchanger and taking it to a reputable radiator shop for evaluation is not a bad idea.

It is important to remember: a fair bit of crap, including small organisms (the latching kind that grow into barnacles, mussels etc etc...) make it past strainers and circulate all day long through the raw system.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JFOkie »

TorreyWP,

Thanks for the info. I pulled the heat exchanger and it's being looked at now.

So frustrating to have the boat in the water, sitting in the slip and unable to use it.

Regards,
John
M/V Nirvana

Return to “Albin Maintenance”