• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow thruster stainless nylon lock nut

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bow thruster stainless nylon lock nut

Post by Cape Codder »

A new lesson learned:
Each year I remove my bow thruster prop to clean and repaint (if necessary)with Hydrocoat ECO.
I’ve used the SS/nylon lock nut too many times!!!!!!!
Guess what? Yup! Spun the prop right off 15 seconds after launch. Ugh! Thought it was a shear pin. Spent two hours at the dock “replacing” the perfectly good shear pin.
So.......
I brought Santosha on shallow Sandy spot, and found NO PROP!
Defender Marine had them in stock, and delivered in 2 days.
Called my trusty boat hauler and asked when he be splashing someone else. Ah......next day.
As he splashed the other customer, I was waiting, and he picked me up and into the parking lot for a 5 minute installation of the new prop.
Back in the water....tested.....good to go!!!
I will NEVER re-use a stainless nylock washer for my bow thruster again.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Bow thruster stainless nylon lock nut

Post by Carl »

Boatzincs.com supplies new screws and a new nut with their zincs. See link below. My prop gets cleaned and painted when the zinc gets replaced every spring.

http://www.boatzincs.com/Vetus-BP-1126.html
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Carl wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 pm Boatzincs.com supplies new screws and a new nut with their zincs. See link below. My prop gets cleaned and painted when the zinc gets replaced every spring.

http://www.boatzincs.com/Vetus-BP-1126.html
I'm the guy that you can thank for the nut and washer being included. They used to just include the 2 screws. I saw them at the Boston boat show year's ago and told them it would be nice if they followed suit like Vetus and included "ALL" hardware so that their customers didn't have to search out a 316 SS lock nut or reuse their old one and potentially spin a prop which could result in the cursing of BoatZincs. The guy said, "consider it done". from that point forward their bow thruster zinc kits come complete. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

That applies to cars also. Long story short, we had drive axles replaced on our Jetta in Florida.
Against our instruction he put non oem parts in so we made him change them out to oem.
About 150 miles later we discovered the drivers side nut had backed off more than one turn.
Not only did he not torque it properly he reused the nylock nut too many times.
After returning from my trip my second stop was to buy a new nut (first was to chew his a$$ but he was too stupid to get it).
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Pitou wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am I'm the guy that you can thank for the nut and washer being included. They used to just include the 2 screws. I saw them at the Boston boat show year's ago and told them it would be nice if they followed suit like Vetus and included "ALL" hardware so that their customers didn't have to search out a 316 SS lock nut or reuse their old one and potentially spin a prop which could result in the cursing of BoatZincs. The guy said, "consider it done". from that point forward their bow thruster zinc kits come complete. :wink:
Very cool! And I do love BoatZincs.com :) Now I like them even more...great customer service!

(And I'll say a little thanks to you Kevin each year when I replace the thruster zinc! :) )
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”