• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacing sewage lines from toilets to holding tanks

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dickgoodwin
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: York, ME

Replacing sewage lines from toilets to holding tanks

Post by dickgoodwin »

We have a recently acquired Albin 40 NSC that appears to have a clogged sewage line from the forward toilet to the holding tank. Today I tried to trace it with the intention of simply replacing it. But no joy -- took off some side panels down below, but still couldn't find the actual line where it goes through the bulkhead from the engine room to the forward head.

To further confuse things, there is a through-hull valve with a label that says "Head discharge". There is also a through hull that says "Macerator discharge", which pumps from the holding tank overboard. Is there really a separate overboard discharge directly from the head???

Anybody have a complete plumbing diagram for this boat?

Or a good way to clean out a partially clogged sewage line?

Cheers,
Dick Goodwin
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Replacing sewage lines from toilets to holding tanks

Post by DougSea »

The likelihood of finding a plumbing diagram for your boat is low. Albin's tended to be semi-custom.

As for the partially clogged line, you might (carefully) try one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKOZ6A/re ... 9085181424
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

While I don't have a NSC - we do have a direct head discharge over the side. Boats built in the 80's came with the option - and many came without holding tanks. Today - most owners have disconnected the direct to overboard discharge (or at least locked them up to pass any inspections). Ours is plumbed so the head goes to the overboard discharge - but there is a valve just before that discharge that will switch between overboard and holding tank. My guess would be start at the "head overboard" work back toward the head - you will find some valve that connects to the head and then to the holding tank. SO I would start there if it is easier than staring at the head.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Seems like a 1/4”hand crank snake from a big box store would likely solve the problem without having to trace the line.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”